Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Garage
$79k - "Sportsmobile-Like" - Metris

At risk of being labeled "off-topic"

Anyone seen one of these Mercedes Metris pop-top conversions?
They're getting (well at least asking....) pretty crazy coin for 'em. $79k!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5944416097.html

MSRP for these vans from Mercedes (as completely original, non-converted) starts around $34k for the cargo version, $40k for the passenger version. It looks like they start with the up-level passenger version, but then click an option box to delete the rear two rows of seats.

So.....$39k to add a pop-top and some cabinets that likely contain all the very-basic RV-specific camping equipment (water/battery etc.)....

....the "premium camper van" business model is kind of amazing.

It looks like most of the Metris pop-top conversions in the USA (so far) are all being handled by GTRV in Sebastapol, CA.

https://www.gtrv.com/models

I really kind of dig these vans....they're handsome and largely pretty honest in their appearance.....especially when they're rolling on the no-nonsense base-model/cargo-version steel wheels.....

....but wow, for what appears to be modest builds (by SMB Forum standards), the pricing on these seems pretty darn stratospheric.

$79k would buy one heck of a lot of E-series-based SMB.
Apples and Oranges, however, I know.
And to each his own.

But.....still want to see one in person

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Team

I had a base passenger Metris as a rental. OK for what it is, but I don't see it being anymore than a station wagon with a pop-top on it. Good for pavement trips to campgrounds.

Herb
Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4

Just saw Sportsmobile post that Metris video to their Facebook page, so it seems official. Those Craigslist photos appear to have been taken in the Fresno factory, so maybe this was one of the first prototypes? I really like that it's similar in size to the VW Eurovan conversions -- a size I would have loved to have instead of the Sprinter. But I agree the price seems pretty steep for an extremely basic build. And the "sink" and cooler fridge are a noticeable step down from the standard SMB kit.
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

I just watched the SMB Metris video too. Meh. Unimpressive build when you've seen what the euro folk have done with the MB Vito (aka Metris). Check out this classic Westy layout: https://youtu.be/Tadep0IEOTM

As an aside, also check out Reimo's full array of self-build parts, including DIY pop tops for 2750 euro. Wouldn't it be cool to have these easily available in the USA? Ah, liability laws...

https://www.reimo.com/en/G-van_conversions_shop/
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
tlg

Garage
Amazing that they've installed rear seats with headrests and shoulder belts. Sure wish they would put a system like that in the EB/RB models.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

Not impressed with the interior cabinetry. Looks like they just added some higher end "roadie boxes" for hauling music gear.

GTRV is doing Metris conversions now which look much better! Here's more pics:

Shop
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0429.jpg  
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #8

Wow, the GTRV conversion is wayyyy better -- finally a worthy replacement for the Eurovan Westy. I love the real kitchen and concealed toilet cabinet (assuming the layout is inspired by the TrioStyle video above). Also looks like they are installing slider windows rather than sticking with the fixed passenger windows like the SMB demo. And the one photo shows a roof vent built into the camper top, which always helps with ventilation. If that blue nozzle on the floor is a heating system, I am sold.
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote