Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Not having owned one, the generalized understanding that I have absorbed from reading a lot of online forum discussions is that many 6.0's frequently need additional, significant $$$ spent to "bulletproof" them (there's usually the mention of installing higher-quality ARP cylinder head studs, doing an EGR delete (or bypass?) and perhaps some sort of additional oil cooler/filter, I forget all the stuff that gets mentioned. It sounds significant, in any event....and potentially risky in California, at least in the case of an EGR delete, since it won't pass California's strict smog checks if that's missing.

Curious if those "bulletproofing" measures/precautions are only needed/advisable in certain years of the 6.0 (the early years, I'm guessing) and are not an issue in later model years....? (If so....what are the "good years" to have?)
I recently picked up a 2008 6.0 and spent just under $10k (hope my wife never sees this post) having Bud's Diesel "bulletproof" my van. This was body off, ARP studs, new EGR Cooler, replace heads, install coolant filter, etc.
I think they did everything with the exception of the standalone oil cooler, which I have read pros and cons to doing.

I had a 2009 5.4 with a Camburg kit previously that I LOVED, but it was under powered. I had hoped by purchasing a 2008 some of the issues would have been resolved vs. the early diesels, but I wasn't able to get it smogged before doing all of the repairs. The diesel has been much nicer to drive power wise, but I had no idea it was going to cost so much more upfront. I had researched the cost of replacement parts like the EGR cooler (cheap), but I was floored when I found out how much $$$ the labor was.

I haven't raised my 6.0 van yet, but so far the diesel gets MUCH better gas mileage than the 5.4 and diesel fuel is cheaper. I'm trying to rationalize that it's going to help pay for itself in the long run, but I have a lot more money into it than I had originally planned. I really like the diesel, but if I had a do over, I probably would have kept my 5.4 or bought a nicer diesel going into it.

Scott

p.s. I'm an OC MTB'er as well, would love to meet up sometime!

Fork-N-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #12

Fork-N-Road: Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope it pays of for you in the long run, if not in pure money, then at least in increased enjoyment.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

Garage
For coffee-talk / comparative purposes:

Here's another 2006 blank-canvas 6.0.
Not as immaculate, and has approximately twice the miles of the first one posted (130k vs. 71k)....but also has a Quigley 4WD system.

Currently reserve un-met at $17.5k, BIN $23.5k.

Depending on what the reserve is set at (and ignoring the cost of previously-discussed, subsequent prudent diesel-mechanical upgrades), this could turn out to be about the same money as the first van posted in this thread.....

eBay link:
2006 Ford E-Series Van Quigley 4x4 | eBay

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote