Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Chevy van?

Saw this on ExPo in case you're looking for a little larger Chevy van.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...-rhino.230512/

2006 GMC TopKick "White Rhino"

2006 GMC top kick crew cab 4x4 grafted to a 2007 GMC Savanna van body, with custom bolt on rear "fender flares" built from a 2015 GMC 3500 dually bed. 6.6 duramax engine with all new injectors and a FASS platinum fuel system and K&N air intake. The body's were combined at the C pillars of the Topkick body, i spot welded the pillars just like the factory would have done. The floors have also been grafted together and fully spot welded like factory. Custom Atlas Leaf Springs were built for the project and custom valved KING Shocks. Custom built and reinforced front bumper, and modified Aluminess aluminum rear bumper with dual swing out carriers holding 3 jerry cans and aluminum storage box. Full length RhinoRack Pioneer platform roof rack with Fiamma Awning. All lighting had been upgraded to LED and all offroad lighting was provided by KC Highlites. Roof rack has KC scene lighting 360 degrees around the rig. Power mirrors were added. Custom full length aluminum running boards were built for the van with a custom ladder hanging off the driver side middle. All lighting is controlled by a SwitchPros 9100 switch system. Pyrometer, Boost and on board air gauges in dash. Viair compressor with air chucks on all corners of the rig. The interior features 4 custom upholstered captains chairs with the 2 rear seats on 360 degree swivels. The rear of the van has a couch that pulls into a bed and lots of cabinet/drawer storage with aluminum counter tops. Couch bed has full length drawers hidden in the enclosure. Sink setup with 7 gallon fresh water and drains to exterior of vehicle. The stereo has been fully upgraded with 8 6x5 kicker speakers and 12" subwoofer. An Alpine Halo9 head unit controls the stereo system. Custom gray carpet kit for the front half of the rig and all gray hardwood floors. The vehicle has been fully sound deadening with Dynamatt and Dynadeck. All LED lighting on the interior as well. Full shore power system with large inverter and 200 watts of renogy solar panels and a PowerTank 150AH house battery. Wheels are 20x11 StazWorks built steel wheels and Goodyear 41" tires. Custom full 4" exhaust exits out the passenger side. 3 camera system with front and rear cams on the stereo head unit and an HD camera setup on the rear view mirror that is always on. Interior has a 30" Insignia smart TV, there are power points and USB plugs all over the rig. Large Snomaster fridge freezer with dual fridge or dual freezer options. Custom gauges were built and recalibrated for the milage. Current milage on the rig is 67k. I'm sure I've missed a few things so just ask if you want to know! Located in Big Spring, TX Asking $95,000

Old 02-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #2

Wow! Outrageous in all the ways! I like it, dunno if I could own it but I like the fact somebody did it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
MSD

Garage
Fablab does some cool stuff. I follow him on IG. When I was at CCV we almost did a pop top for him on this rig. It was going to cost a lot of $$$ plus take a ton of time to get it done. In the end he passed on it. But his fab skills are amazing! It might sound crazy but he’s asking $95k which is sorta underpriced IMHO. Especially based on some of the poorly built stuff I’ve seen during the pandemic Overlanding rig sales frenzy.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #4

Yea I thought the price seemed reasonable if anything about that could be considered reasonable. I genuinely think its pretty cool and looks well executed.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm just amazed that a full size Chevy van would graft to a mid-sized truck so seamlessly. The craftsmanship is good, but it seem like they shouldn't fit together.

Herb
Old 02-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #6

Agreed. Its almost like they were made to go together from the factory with some of the body lines and height etc.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:56 PM   #7

The TopKick/Kodiak went with the Express cab when it redesigned in 2005-ish. Prior to that it used the pickup cab. The Express cab allows a shorter back-of-cab measurement and better step-through access. That’s why it was so popular for motorhomes. And I used to think about doing a van body graft.

The downside is, the TopKick/Kodiak drove like an old dump truck.. Tug-boats have better steering feel. Plus the duramax of that era had some injector issues (at least you only have to fix that once, and this one does have the FASS system). But the biggest issue is the wiring. By the time those things hit 10 years old the dashboards have more lights on than a teenager’s VW Jetta, and many of the faults make it go into limp mode. I got really good at doing rolling restarts…. The first few times it went to 900 RPM on the freeway was more than sketch. With it being discontinued replacement harnesses can’t be bought. Ended up scrapping the one I drive early and replaced it with a Freightliner M2.