Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #11

Gramps I agree with you. First off LOW mileage, Second 7.3 can not get any better than this unless it was a Cummings or a Chevy Durasian. It is Stealth, minimal problem associated with dated devices, less umbilical cords attaching you to failing dated devices. It is a clean BUILT out slate. It has the spare tire rear storage you can put a Coleman stove in for outside cooking or keep it inside! No mention of a heater but a diesel heater easy to add. I slept in a travel trailer one year in Hermosa north of Durango and yes it was cold, a few days 10* below with wind, it was hard but for a few days camping you plan according. So yes some of the Cons can actually be Pros because you add what works for you and you do not have to patch any torn out cabinets because you are adding what you want! If it was well maintained I believe it is a great to good price for what you are getting but I am a 7.3 fan!
4x4 conv. $10-15K by a vendor
Penthouse $9-10K
Build out ? $15K ? maybe more don't know
7.3 Ford option $5K
Low miles Priceless!

The fact that it seems to have sold quick is relative to Gramps and my comments.
Oh I forgot to mention I wore topsiders and shorts to class on some winter days!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Hi everyone,

Saw this thread on the SMB van I was fortunate enough to purchase this past summer. I've been lurking on the forum on and off for a few years and have really appreciated the education. My wife and I have been talking about getting a SMB for years and this forum has really helped us hone in on what we want. We looked at a few vans over the years but couldn't seem to find our dream set up. (7.3, 4x4, EB50 floor plan, aluminess goodies, etc) Just when I was about to loose hope on finding a 7.3, our almost ideal van popped up for sale close to our home this summer. (Not only did it have our ideal drivetrain, it was a well maintained one owner rig with 75k miles and under our budget!!!) Needless to say I pounced at the opportunity, drove 2 hours by myself with cash in hand and towed my commuter car home behind my new SMB! If there is one thing I've learned over the past few years, if the van you want pops up you have to move quick because deals don't seem to last!

We've used the van all summer in it's current configuration but we are now ready to make it our own with a little interior remodel over the winter As others have commented, this van has a modified RB50 layout. I was hoping to get some opinions from other members regarding my remodel plans:

We'll be changing the configuration of the cabinets to add a sink. It has no onboard water system or furnace. After some research I was thinking of an Espar D5 set up for both cabin heat and hot water. I like the idea of tapping into the diesel instead of adding a propane system. I don't need a built in stove as we prefer to cook outside. Any thoughts on the Espar D5?? How large of a fresh water tank can I realistically fit under the rear seat?

The van currently has a microwave but I'm thinking of removing it to gain some additional storage space. I've never camped with a microwave before so the whole idea seems a little odd to me. I also have to either have the van plugged into shore power or have the engine running to use the microwave. Is this normal or should it be able to be used with just the house battery? (The house batteries are also on my list to replace this winter.)

After hearing of so many SMB's getting stolen I'm also planning on having a Ravelco system installed for peace of mind and as a base for future security system upgrades.

Vanimal's comments were spot on with my thoughts on this van. It wasn't 100% what I wanted but it was darn close and was a perfect platform to build from.

Looking forward to being a member of the SMB community!
RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #13

EB50 on SMB website, 7.3 4x4 aluminess $45k

If you don’t have a built in stove, SMB adds the microwave as an easy way to satisfy the definition of an RV having a built-in cooking source. We can run our MW for short bursts off the batteries, although I usually run the engine. Admittedly, we don’t use it much unless we are plugged in (rare), in which case it’s nice to have. We store stuff inside it, like a cabinet.

Are you sure you want/need a sink? We had one and took it and its cabinet out to make space for a third seat, and have never missed it. If you cook outside, how often will you use a sink inside? If it’s mainly a water tank you want, then install that and just run a hose and sprayer in a way that it can be easily accessed outside the van. A lot more versatile and takes up less room. Plus no gray tank, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote