Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Ebay: 2005 RB50 2WD $22,800 Philadelphia

I looked at this van and almost bought it last week. It's very clean, drives nicely, but does have a few small issues and one bigger issue that caused me to pass on it. BUT, at $22,800 I think it's a very good value for someone who knows what they are getting into. Although it has bids, I know the seller will end the auction to do a buy it now. If anyone is interested in it I'm happy to talk by phone before purchase and run through my full pre-purchase inspection. I spent about an hour looking at it and test-driving it. I also have the CarFax for it and can share that privately, as well as a few additional photos I took of underneath.

As I'm local in Philly, I may also be available for a drive/fly delivery if needed. PM me.

Exterior and interior are super-clean. The interior looks brand-new. It also has a water heater, which is not mentioned in the ad. No propane or regular heater.

Biggest issue: it has Starcool, but the system is disconnected and does not work at all. At a minimum it will need some new hoses and fittings before you can even see if any of the major components work or not. Could be a $500 fix, or could be a $2500+ fix. The front (cab) A/C works fine.

There is some rust underneath, but mainly surface, with the exception of at least one of the shocks. The ad says it was "stored each winter," but I doubt that (and I have no idea how the seller, who bought it at auction, would know that). Mainly a scrape and/or light sandblast exercise in various areas, but nothing structural at all. The PH top has its clearcoat lightly peeling, which is common and no biggie.

The side "40" door does not latch properly, but probably just needs to be adjusted. When you push on it, it does latch.

Tire are Michelin LTX, E-rated. They appear slightly "checkered" from age, but still seem OK. I *think* they may be of the series that was recalled. I checked the DOT code and it matches with the recall, but I forgot to check the date code so I'm not 100% sure. If they are recalled, you hit the lottery as you'll be able to get $700 worth of tires for free at any Michelin dealer.

When I drove it the van pulled slightly and then severely when braking. The seller then replaced both brake hoses, pads and calipers. I didn't drive it after that, but I assume that fixed the problem. And it was cool that he did the repairs without prompting.

2005 Ford E-Series Van E250 SportsMobile

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

And... it's sold (again). Anyone here buy it?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote