Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2023, 06:44 PM   #1

Ford chinook in San Diego

Not mine, just saw this on the Denver C-list, thought it was pretty cool.

https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/...588938034.html

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:25 AM   #2

Garage
That is a really sweet rig. No 4x4 info and not one I've seen before. It's not quadvan but it looks well executed. This came with duallies and the rear looks like semi float. Priced well and appears in immaculate shape inside for the miles. Lot's to think about: bathroom, rear entry, AC and generator, new tranny! This is a worthy looking rig. Chinooks are high quality builds.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #3

Isn't this the Javier/crows conversion that was posted a few days ago? Or maybe it was on ExPo.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:52 PM   #4

As an owner of a Chinook 7.3 4x4 I was blown away by the quality of build, particularly the cabinets and features compared to my 2003 Sportsmobile 7.3 RB50. I'm not sure I'd take it too far off the beaten path, but at 21' and slightly wider which makes it fairly easy to park, it comes well equipped from the factory with very little I would change except the suspension. Mine came with a Salem Kroger conversion with added sway bar and Fox 2.0 shocks and while it's not a UJoint or Quadvan conversion, I have had very little complaints.
MauiSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Isn't this the Javier/crows conversion that was posted a few days ago? Or maybe it was on ExPo.
The front bumper is the same as they put on their other rigs.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #6

I have a 2005 Chinook Concourse myself, i can honestly say that i would never convert a chinook to a single rear wheel setup. A Concourse with absolutely nothing in it, meaning empty water tanks, empty fuel tank, and no personal gear or belongings inside the vehicle weighs in at approximately 10,500 pounds. Add 35 gallons of water, 35 gallons of fuel, all your gear, clothing, food, and supplies and youre easily pushing 11,500 pounds.

Its 21 feet long and easily 10 feet tall in 4x4 dress. Blow out one of those rear singles at Hiway speeds and your in for a white knuckle ride. They put dual rears on them for a reason. A blow out isnt just going to cost a person a new tire, its also going to destroy the wheel. With duals it allows the operator to maintain a reasonable amount of control until the vehicle can be slowed and stopped.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #7

Garage
This whole Javier/Crow thing is such a downer. I imagine if he did great work and started from good base rigs it would be great. I feel for the people who have no idea what they are getting into. If this is a crow rig as a newbie it would be hard to say no.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:50 PM   #8

I reached out to seller who confirmed vehicle is in San Diego, and 4 x 4 conversion was done by Halcon Racing.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:24 AM   #9

Good to hear the seller responded. To be honest, the asking price seems low to the point of being a scam. If I could figure out how to carry bikes inside, I'd be tempted.

I do agree the rear axle should at least be a 1 ton, full-floater.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair View Post
I reached out to seller who confirmed vehicle is in San Diego, and 4 x 4 conversion was done by Halcon Racing.
Just saying this out loud, not sure if it was mentioned above. Halcon Racing is Javier/Crows.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote