Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #11

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...999212193.html

Sorry. Shoulda thought of that...

pi25wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

Garage
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...999212193.html

To each their own, but that price seems quite out of line to me. On the other hand, if you pay that much for it, it just drives up the value of all of our rigs, so go for it.

OK, just kidding. Every time someone pays too much for a van, it does drive up everyone's equity, so from a selfish perspective I should egg you on, but from a rational and ethical perspective I can't do that.

Good luck!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Thanks Glider. Appreciate the honest reply
Old 02-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

It's not totally crazy.. but I'd say it is high.

I think the asking price would be more in line if it had Aluminess rear box, cooktop, 200-300W solar, Aluminess roof rack, Warn winch, recovery gear, and if the motor/transmission truly had complete high quality rebuild fixing all the 6.0 issues.

He's asking top of the line money for a van that is not top of the line.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

The mile marker is a decent winch. OBA would help. Nice rig. Still, it's 12 years old.

Maybe a better way to look at it would be what's the replacement value? I haven't looked lately but seems a similar late model low-mileage E350 (or new) with a 6.0 would go for $120,000 or so. 90K is about what that rig cost in 2005. Amazing.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #16

Thanks rallypanam.

Several of my buddies are diesel experts and the motor, tranny and driveline have all been redone by UTP to their satisfaction... I need this input from you all to make a good informed decision. I work hard for a living, understand the value of a buck and do not want to make a big dollar mistake.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #17

Thank you JoeH.

Yes, we have considered the new 4x4 Classic on the SMB line...
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pi25wide View Post
Thanks Glider. Appreciate the honest reply
You bet. If I were looking at this rig, my next step would be to obtain complete documentation regarding the "bulletproofing." I have heard a lot of different people call a lot of different things "bulletproofing." I've seen folks swear that "everything" was done--but there are a lot of different definitions of "everything."

I believe only what there is documentation to support. If I were considering this rig, I would start by asking for a complete copy of the bulletproofing invoice and warranty documentation. I would then probably follow up with a phone call to the shop. Based on that, if I were still interested--and after verifying that all the mechanicals check out to my satisfaction--I'd make an offer based on a reasonable, fair market value. And take it from there.

Don't forget that every ten year old rig is going to need work, by definition. Purchase price is only the beginning. You will be putting money into any van you buy. There's no way around that.

Owning a sailboat is like standing in a cold shower stuffing hundred dollar bills down the drain. Owning a SMB is pretty much the same deal, minus the cold shower. It doesn't mean that it is not worth it--it certainly is for me--I'm just suggesting that going into this with your eyes open is likely to be helpful.

All the best to you!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #19

Glider,

At least I know I'm on the right track. I have inspected the service docs and spoke to the shop mechanic who did the work. It appears all is in order for a complete "bulletproof". The current owner is meticulous and does the SMB family proud from what I've seen.

No hot water on board. Star cool is 12v DC and shore power 110. Penthouse is electric with only the sides painted because the current owner felt the gel gloss was looking worn. I looked at the top and it appears to be in good shape...

Very sound reasoning on your part - yes, I would put some money into it. OBA and aluminess roof rack and box at least. Maybe hot water plate...

I'm not in a rush, but would rather not wait to order a new rig from SMB... I'll be 50 this year, my daughter is 25 and loves to camp. She and her BF camp at least 1x a month. We want to be out there with them!...

Aloha,
David
Old 02-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
A price is too high only if you are not willing to pay for it!? We are talking about a want here, unless I missed dude telling us he is now going to become a wondering traveler (wouldn't that be cool though)...so, yes pricey to those who own a SMB...but those looking to get into such an awesome gift to ones well being (SMB=adventure/anti boredom), NO MORE ECONOLINES BEING BUILT (EVER), and what is money for anyway? So I say it is a BARGAIN!!! Go get it and start your adventures and POST SOME CAMP, OFF ROAD/B-ROAD PICS already!!! Good luck!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote