Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #31

Ask for their checklist before you go asking for specific areas of concern. Most PPI companies cover most of what you are asking but they don't give opinions. They use a rating and yes/no system.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #32

Garage
Thanks, it is good to know that most of my points should be in the checklist.

Just wanted to make sure that there is no big stuff to get checked with this kind of van.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #33

Garage
A stated in an earlier post, Plan on opening your wallet. Take into account a lot of little things still add up to one big check.
Not sure what all goes into the Inspection you're having them perform, but you list above looks pretty good for a start. Would add:
*Are they able to test any/all appliances installed? (Microwave, Stove, water system,
etc)
*Since you mentioned propane, I would have them look at the regulator, and the
condition of the tank (outer shell can begin to rust and peel)
*Have the steering checked for wear/play (linkage, ball joints, etc)
*Compression test on the engine?
*House batteries tested (From the pic's they look like they are mounted inside - if
that's the case is the enclosure vented? should it be?)
* As stated by many, I would really have the rust evaluated - some of the Pic's dont look bad, but others would concern me - have them also look for signs along the roof around the top

I'm sure more knowledgeable people here will chime in with worthwhile suggestions.

If you decide to buy it, Changing ALL the fluids would be my first task (Coolant, Diff fluids, Trans, Steering, and Motor - Might call a shop to get a quote). Not sure how the water system is constructed, but would recommend you clean & sanitize the system
Hope this turn out to be the one for you!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #34

You mention that the ball joints need to be replaced in one of your previous posts. I've been quoted $800 for all 4 ball joints to be replaced. Just keep that in mind when considering all costs.

Be sure to have the seller turn on all appliances to show you that they all work properly. Ask them how old the house batteries are. A couple good house batteries can add up real quick, as well as replacement costs for appliances.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
You mention that the ball joints need to be replaced in one of your previous posts. I've been quoted $800 for all 4 ball joints to be replaced. Just keep that in mind when considering all costs.

Be sure to have the seller turn on all appliances to show you that they all work properly. Ask them how old the house batteries are. A couple of good house batteries can add up real quick, as well as replacement costs for appliances.
Thanks, Mike, It is good to know for the ball Joints. Definitely, need to be replaced.

All appliances work and the guy said that if not he will do the repair before. I did the test of the water pump and others, except the propane stove that was not charged.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #36

There isn't a lot of info here on GTRVs, but they are a GREAT product, too bad the original shop isn't making any more of them . Here is my experience having owned a 1999 GTRV V10, 2001 GTRV 7.3 longbody, and a 2006 SMB RB50:

• Cabinets are made of high quality plywood, not the pressed particle board SMB uses.
• Lower bed is a true queen side bed, SMB is only a double size.
• Upper bunk is wider than SMB
• Top profile is much lower and sleeker on the GTRV...great for stealth camping. However, the SMB T-shaped top definitely has more head space than the V-shaped GTRV top.
• Van upholstery quality is very similar, but poptop canvas is higher quality on the SMB.
• GTRVs have side popout window as standard, and the camper windows are larger.
• GTRV headliners all sag but they are relatively easy to replace yourself.

I've seen under a lot of Econolines and yours looks normal compared to all of them except the southwest...and even there they often have surface rust too. What I can see needs to be treated but nothing too serious.

$13-14K would be a steal...even at 15K firm I bet it will sell fast. I sold my 1999 V10 GTRV with similar mileage last year for $22,000. It was an E350 with the V10 so those do fetch more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292236490598?ul_noapp=true

The 4.6 5.3 and V10 are from the same modular family of engines and should be good enough. Best of luck...let us know if you snag it.
BeastGTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #37

Garage
Hi all,

Just a quick update

Thank you very much for all of your input. I sent the list a specific request to the mechanic guy. He will work on this Tuesday. I will keep you updated. Thanks for your support in finding the good one.

In the meantime, I have run a Carfax Report. Please find some relevant (good) details.
Attached Thumbnails
Carfax 1.JPG  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #38
Gone Traveling

What year is it? 122,000 miles I’m assuming when you say 122...
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #39

We have a 2011 Pleasure Way Traverse which is basically the same as a GTRV. Formerly we had a 2000 GTRV. The PW has a 4.6 liter engine with a Dana 4.10 rear axle. The GTRV had a 5.4 liter engine with a Ford 3.55 rear axle. How do they compare? The GTRV definitely had more power to climb hills. However the PW does pretty well; it does have to downshift a little more often but has been perfectly adequate for driving in the mountains of Arizona and Colorado. The PW weighs a little more than the GTRV; 7400 lbs. versus 6400 lbs. for the GTRV (wet, I weighed both on CAT scales). Both vehicles average 17 mph gallon. Both fit in a nominal 7 foot garage; an actual 82.75 inches.
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
What year is it? 122,000 miles I’m assuming when you say 122...
Correct 122.000 miles