Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #11

Garage
^^^^^^^^^I'm with rally.panam ^^^^^^^^^^
Looks pretty extensive and would advise a thorough inspection - Even the Pic of the drivers side step shows what looks like rust on the top (at the end by rear wheel) - I'd definitely check the lower body panels for rust, those are the spots that would concern me most.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #12

I think I'm out. If it were close to me and I could actually look at it to figure out how bad it is, I might be persuaded. But I would essentially have to buy it first and ship it here to even figure out if I want it.

That said, if anyone knows of a chateau for sale, I am looking. Prefer an e350 and 4x4, but doesn't need to be.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

That doesn't look to bad. It should be easy enough to clean up, the only question is what does its inner panels look like.

My van has terrible body rot compared to that, but most of it is on the inside of the rockers and inside of the rear corners, and doors.

I've done a lot of rust repair in my days so it's no big deal. If I was getting that van I would strip the interior and make sure all the metal was protected and not rusting from inside out.

The frame shouldn't be anything to fix outside media blasting or a wire wheel and paint so long as there is no major pitting.
NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

This van is close to me and I found and thought about it long before it was posted here. I've rescued 2 rusty vans now and I vow to never do it again. This one might not be bad, but who knows until you go crawl around under it? Whoever does, take a good look at the raingutters as well.

In my opinion, this van is not that rare and only a steal if you are local or close enough to go take a look in person and haggle the guy down to nothing. I had $5k in mind when I first considered it.

Things to consider:
Do you want an auto restoration project of a getaway machine?
Do you want to use it now or a year or three from now?
Do you live anywhere the rust will quickly get worse?

Best of luck....
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #15

I agree. I just want a clean quigley chateau and they are impossible to find in CA because people here haven’t been buying vans like that for 15 years or more. And none were quigleys.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #16

The Vanagon crowd deals with the threat of rust simply as a matter of course. The prevailing wisdom is that if the van is complete and is not unsafe to operate you can drive it and camp in it while you work to improve it or while you look for something better. You might find a better complete van or one with the body configuration you like to which you can swap over your running gear.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
The Vanagon crowd deals with the threat of rust simply as a matter of course. The prevailing wisdom is that if the van is complete and is not unsafe to operate you can drive it and camp in it while you work to improve it or while you look for something better. You might find a better complete van or one with the body configuration you like to which you can swap over your running gear.
This is true. I speak Vanagon. But, Vanagons tend to have more body rust in my experience whereas Ford vans have brake line and suspension rust more often, which is much less safe.

Either way, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I enjoyed improving my last rusty Vanagon Westy a hell of a lot more than I've enjoyed working under my two rusty Ford vans. But, it's also true that Vanagons are much more rare so for Fords I'd recommend just finding a clean one. They are still out there.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #18

The ad calls out that the undercarriage is rusty in words, but then only supplys two photos that show parts of the undercarriage that aren't the areas I'd be most concerned with.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #19

Me too

I just tried to get a hitch put on my van. I went to three different places. Two places said, too much rust underneath. Third said undercarriage would weaken if I towed with it very much.

Mechanic says there's a place I can take it to get the rust cleaned.

I live in the Seattle area. Anyone know of a place here that sand blasts rust?

Thankyou
Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #20

Ande, if your frame is so rusted that no one would install a hitch, sandblasting won't make it any stronger. It will reduce further rusting though, assuming you immediately coat the bare metal. I would look for a place that does soda blasting or something similar that won't make such a huge mess. You will also want to protect all the wiring and hoses before they blast, as it's easy to blow a hole through the insulation if the blaster isn't really careful.

https://mobilesodablasting.com/
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote