Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Site Team

MSR XGK-EX backpacking stove

No affiliation
---------------------------------
I'm on the e-mail list for a military surplus outfit, Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet, and it seems they're going out of business. I received an e-mail that they're offering 50% off online orders Feb 3-4.

Frankly they look kind picked through on their website, but I found one deal if it truly is 50% off.

It's the MSR USMC XGK EX Small Unit Expeditionary Stove Combo Kit. Basically a MSR XGK-EX stove with the fuel bottles painted OD. Their current price is $249.99, but if it truly is 50% off on the 3rd and 4th, it's a good deal with everything it comes with.

The gear junkie in me wants to pick one (or more) up, but I don't see myself needing one anytime soon.

Combo Kit Includes:
  • (2) 22 oz. Fuel Bottles
  • (1) Simmer Plate
  • (2) Fuel Jets
  • (1) Repair Kit
  • (1) Fuel Pump
  • (1) Fuel Pump Retention Cap and Plug
  • (1) Waterproof SealLine Bag
  • (1) XGK EX Stove
MSR XGK EX Multi-Fuel Expedition Stove | 7310015786413 | uncle sam's retail outlet

Same stove appears to be $160 on Amazon, without any fuel bottles, and 20oz fuel bottles on Amazon at $20 a piece.
On Amazon, it states the following fuels can be used, depending on which jet you install:
GK Jet: white gas, kerosene, unleaded auto fuel and aviation gas
X Jet: diesel and jet fuel

Herb

Old 02-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

I still have and use a pretty old (late 80s) XGK stove. Indestructible stove that will run on just about any fuel. Not the best to cook on, though, as they don't simmer very well (maybe they've improved it). They were designed for high-altitude mountaineering and the purpose of melting snow for water. I think you might even be able to weld with one, it gets so hot! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote