Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post

Also, seems like fords are preferred - what about the other brands should I watch out for?

Fords have the most aftermarket accessories such as fender flares, lift kits, bumpers, etc.

If you want fender flares, side barn doors are more "flare friendly" than sliders, although sliders can be modified to clear the flares. Barn doors also allow for additional stuff like door galleys, storage, etc.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

Those vans are all really nice, but at $20K without any camping equip or suspension upgrades, they're well above my budget.

I think I'd be better off trying to find a van that is mostly done. But, when I do find vans that are mostly done, and in my price range, they tend to be older/high mileage.

Here's a few examples:DODGE SPORTSMOBILE CLASS B CAMPER RV MOTORHOME one ton Roadtrek coachmen coach h
Beautiful '92 Sportsmobile

Both are within budget, but have around 100k on the clock. That sort of mileage concerns me - how much will I have to spend to ensure a reliable engine? Plus, I'd have to install some suspension upgrades - is that a worthwhile expense on vehicles of this age/condition?

I know I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I'm hoping there's a van out there that fits the bill. I'm really trying to find that sweet spot of low maintenance, simple, and affordable.
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

Narrowing down the search

I wouldn't think twice about a well-maintained (and documented) Ford van with 100k+ miles on it. First, these vans are well known for their longevity. Second, most campervans will have mostly highway miles on them. I'd take 100k highway miles over 20k miles on a van that sat and idled all day (ambulance, utility, etc.).

My 98 E250 SMB just flipped 101,000 and runs perfectly. I'd drive it across the country without hesitation (and probably will do so again this summer, or maybe to Alaska :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
Those vans are all really nice, but at $20K without any camping equip or suspension upgrades, they're well above my budget.

The last van on the list is a 2008 with 85K miles for under $10K....happens to be pretty much the same as mine ......same year, color, RB, windows, etc. Good chance that will have a full float rear axle also....

The 2008 Fords have the new style nose/front end but the older style dash and seats...sort of a transition year. 2009+ have updated dash and seats.

I paid $16K for mine...it had 88K miles on it (and was 4WD)....flew to WY to buy it new years day 3 years ago.

I have a little over 100K miles on my van and I'm not worried about taking it anywhere. Properly maintained they'll go a long time.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #15

Many ways to set up a camper, as well as many budgets..

I got my 2008 E-150 with 89k for $5,500, with 4.6l, p/w and locks, cruise, stereo, etc. With normal commercial use bumps and scrapes, it was in decent overall shape but for one issue. It was owned by a guy with 2 Indian restaurants and was used for catering. It smelled very funky, and when I pulled up the floor (aluminum diamond plate over plywood), I found all kinds of food remnants, and years-old pools of rancid fat. Truly disgusting, but huge props to my wife for not freaking out.

I pulled the seating and did a quick pressure wash to get out >90% of the filth before it got too cold (making sure to dry it out thoroughly). I will finish the cleanout in the spring, then address minor rusting in the cargo area. This won't be full-out like many / most of the rigs here, but with a budget of 5k for repairs and setting it up (pretty much all DIY), I should be able to make a comfortable (if basic) camper out of it.

Best advice I could offer would be to do your homework, and set realistic expectations in line with your needs and budget. Be prepared to do work on research, the hunt, and some work on the van, and there is no reason you can't set yourself up with something that will serve your needs.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #16

I got a 2010 E350 EB with 70k on it for $14k.
Now is the best time to buy a van. Spring time they get very expensive. IMO, build your own. WAY cheaper and more fun. Even if you convert it to 4wd, it is much cheaper to do it on your own. Fords are easy to convert.

Here's one that you could remove the lift and start building:
https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/5942618442.html
It already has a bitch'n paint job!
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #17

1993 Coachman Viking Class B - Ford

This was listed yesterday in SD. Seems like the seller is pretty upfront with his description. At $8500 it would be a great starter van. You can get a leveling kit or 2wd lift kit and have the ground clearance you need and still be in at less than half of your max budget. The 5.8 motor is usually super solid too.

Seems like it checks a lot of the boxes you are looking for. I would take the running boards/fender flares off and it would look way better.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #18

Once again, thanks for all of the input.

I'm glad to hear the overall confidence in a well maintained Ford, makes going for a higher mileage van a little less intimidating.

@E-rex - that story is hilarious and terrifying. I grew up with a friend whose parents owned an Indian restaurant. I remember riding home in the catering van - that smell definitely sticks around!

As usual, more questions!

1. Sounds like a "newer/lower mileage" ford can be found in the $10k range. Assuming I go with that, what are the best resources for a build? Like I mentioned before, I'd rather not spend 6 months building this (though I know that's how you save money and customize for your needs). Are there any good "kits" that can sort of get you half way there? I'm essentially looking for a basic westy setup. Or, do any particular build threads come to mind that you could point me to?

2. I looked at the older class b's, but I started to veer away from those after awhile. I thought they would be too heavy to be baja capable in the sand flats. Also, I get a bit intimidated by the electrical since they already have a genset (which I'd want to replace with solar). I sort of decided to focus on a blank van (least preferred) or older sportsmobile (or similar) that was essentially done. What are your thoughts on the 1993 coachmen @mikracer posted?

Here are some vehicles that interest me, with comments:

1.https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5934603050.html
-Doesn't have sink or solar, but could be added relatively easy. Already has hightop, relatively low miles. But, has 6.0 diesel (which I've heard can be very troublesome).

1996 Dodge Sportsmobile trade?
-This one was already posted, and I'm waiting to hear back from the guy to see if he sold it. I definitely like this one, has just about everything I'm looking for, could add some suspension upgrades and I think it would be good to go. Though, it's a dodge with a little bit of higher mileage.

3.Beautiful '92 Sportsmobile
-Price seems a little high for this. Mileage seems ok. Otherwise, has about everything I'm looking for minus suspension improvements.

4. 1996 chevy Quigley 4x4 Van
-How awesome is this thing. Ok, so it looks ridiculous, but it's low mileage 4x4. This would obviously require a full build though, and a new paint job.

5. 4x4 diesel by me
-This thing has a lot going for it, but it's already at the top of the budget and needs work. I spoke with the owner and he said it's got a small oil leak that will need addressed, needs to have sink/tanks purchased and installed, needs to have wiring run from alternator to battery (only hooked up to solar right now). The 4x4 was done by the previous owner, so I'm not sure how well everything was done...I think it's a pretty clear pass, but just thought I'd share.

6. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-obo-7151.html
- I really thought this was going to be my van. I paid a mechanic in New Mexico to go over everything, and it only needed a few small repairs. But, I found that it had been for sale a couple of times and read some of the comments on this forum. After that, and the fact that the seller wasn't willing to deal at all, I walked away. The van is still for sale, but the seller has parked it for the winter and is travelling.
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #19

Garage
I actually just committed to buying the 96 dodge.
lugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugee View Post
I actually just committed to buying the 96 dodge.
Great looking Dodge!

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote