Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #21

Nice! Seems like a solid van.

Anyone have an opinion on the other vans/thoughts on my other questions?

Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #22

Garage
I pulled the Carfax on the 92 Ford. Clean title California car. He had it posted for 14.5k a month ago.

The 1996 Chevy was a quigley factory build. They used it in a lot of their literature a while back. There are a couple videos of it on youtube.

(0:43)
lugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #23

Ha, that's too funny - those videos are classic. Pretty capable van.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #24

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-obo-7151.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-obo-7151.html

I mentioned this van in a previous post and was hoping to get some additional info. Seems like this van has been around the forum quite a few times, which was a bit worrisome and sort of why I passed on the van. Though, I did speak with the guy who was selling it and paid a mechanic to go through it. The mechanic said the following:

The gasket on the transmission oil pan needs to be replaced; the rear gasket on the transfer case needs to be replaced, and the tail pipe needs to be replaced.

The seller decided to hold off on selling the van, but I'm still curious as to what everyone thinks? I'm just trying to prepare myself for future opportunities with vans of similar age/condition. Here are some basics and questions:

The seller was asking $17k and I believe it had about 130k on the clock at the time. Already had just about everything I was looking for (Pop top, solar, inverter, 4x4, sink, propane hookup). It could sleep 4 (even though the bed in the rear is a little small). I think the AC had since been fixed, but I'm not sure. The front axle is only a Dana 44, but I don't think my offroad driving will ever be too serious. Finally, I don't mind the older style vans and think it has pretty good look. So, here are my questions:

1. Based on the mechanic's notes above, how much do you think it would cost to repair smaller issues like that? The mechanic suggested around $500, just curious if that is realistic.

2. What concerns would you have with this van? Would your concerns be fixed by investing some money into fixes? If so, do you think they would be costly or reasonable? (ie, concern that the AC doesn't work well, how much would something like that cost to fix).

3. What do you think a fair price for this van would have been, given everything I've written above?

Really appreciate all the help and insight. I want to be as prepared and knowledgeable as possible so I can make sure to move quickly when the next interesting van pops up. Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #25

Only comment I have is that the D44 is rated for 3500lbs. I doubt you'll ever stress it in that rig.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #26

Yeah, I don't know much about the Dana axles, but from what I've read it seems like the 44 would have been sufficient. Appreciate your input.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #27

Anyone else have feedback on this particular van? Or any advice on what to look for in vans of this age? Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #28

Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse...but, anyone?

In other news, saw a great looking 2007 Ford E350 2wd RB with Camburg Baja lift, nice new wheels and tires, 90,000 miles for $10k. Gone within hours! It's like a full time job finding a well priced van and getting there before somebody else does.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse...but, anyone?

In other news, saw a great looking 2007 Ford E350 2wd RB with Camburg Baja lift, nice new wheels and tires, 90,000 miles for $10k. Gone within hours! It's like a full time job finding a well priced van and getting there before somebody else does.
Yeah, that's kind of a problem. Lots of folks here basically "got lucky", being in the right place at the right time, just when that certain van is for sale. If you have the patience, that can happen to you, too.

I may be completely off the mark here and, if I am, just move along, but I sense that you might be looking for a bunch of stuff that will meet your needs, but you might not have the $$ for it. A lot of folks here really wanted a certain thing and would have sold our first born to pay for it if we found it but, lo and behold, they wanted actual money which is, commonly, in short supply.

So, we got ourselves (hopefully) a vehicle in good shape - or at least one that matched our mechanical abilities (um me? Yeah, no car mechanic, thus the late-model van) and then set to putting it together to our liking, piece by piece. Sometimes that meant going on camping trips with a half-assed bed and water via five gallon jugs. But it's ours, and we love it.

Like I said, I could be completely off here and would never presume to know your intent, but thought I'd offer this bit of my experience, having neither much money nor significant mechanical skills.

On the other hand, maybe you'll get lucky and find an SMB, already built out, for just a few bucks more than you want to pay. I found one and nearly bought it before I bought my present van. It was all built out and, actually, wouldnt have met my real needs, but it was pretty and cool and I WANTED it. Thankfully, the owner ignored my emails and, when she finally got back to me, I'd already bought my PhoTow. And it's a happy ending for me.

I sure do wish you good luck in your search and would just say, get a decent rig in good mechanical and body shape. The rest is gravy (to me).
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #30

Garage
I looked every day for over a year before Ii jumped on the Dodge. I have lost way too many good deals just waiting around a day or two.

These were the other two my wife and I were going to consider. They aren't full builds and aren't high tops, but that is something you can add? I like the look of that 2010.

2004 E350
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5933504409.html

2010 E350 Lifted and Locked
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5933836333.html