Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

Not a bad deal

If it was an RB, I'd be on the road right now.
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...862531582.html

FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

This was posted by SMB member here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post250993
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
This was posted by SMB member here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post250993
I didn't see it, nice van.
FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #4

I wish the seller good luck with sale.

From having watched good deals come and go, it would be my personal opinion that the seller is in no particular rush to get rid of it. Not overpriced, but I have seen quite a few 50-100K mile passenger vans with the V10, leather, power options, and 4wd go for between $25 and $30K.

At the $30K price point, there doesn't seem to be much of an additional cost to get the V10 besides playing the waiting game and being sure to immediately jump on anything that looks like a good deal. That's probably one of my biggest complaints with the older 5.4 and the 3+OD is the lack of power at highway speed and constantly shifting between 3 and OD with any headwind at 75 mph.

Erik
Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I wish the seller good luck with sale.

From having watched good deals come and go, it would be my personal opinion that the seller is in no particular rush to get rid of it. Not overpriced, but I have seen quite a few 50-100K mile passenger vans with the V10, leather, power options, and 4wd go for between $25 and $30K.

At the $30K price point, there doesn't seem to be much of an additional cost to get the V10 besides playing the waiting game and being sure to immediately jump on anything that looks like a good deal. That's probably one of my biggest complaints with the older 5.4 and the 3+OD is the lack of power at highway speed and constantly shifting between 3 and OD with any headwind at 75 mph.

Erik
I'd prefer a V10 over the 5.4 as well. But all other things being equal, I'd take the 5.4 with the Agile conversion before I'd take a V10 with a Quigley conversion.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
I'd prefer a V10 over the 5.4 as well. But all other things being equal, I'd take the 5.4 with the Agile conversion before I'd take a V10 with a Quigley conversion.
Rookie question here (Not overly familiar with Agile conversions), but what makes you say that? Quigley seems like a pretty reputable company as far as I have heard. I wouldn't think they would still be in the business of making 4x4 vans for the past 20+ years if they had a crummy product.

Looking at this specific conversion, I'm not sure how I feel about an open front axle and push button 4x4. Why use D50's instead of D60's?

Obviously there is some bias speaking here, but I've been quite happy with the things that Quigley has done to the van I drive. Really the only things that have ever needed "fixed" were routine maintenance/ age-related wear items.

That said... I am still giving the Agile RIP suspension some serious thought for a summer DIY install. I'm not thrilled with the way the suspension behaves and have heard really great things about Agile's suspension products.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #7

The difference between quigley and agile is the ride. Agile does a lot of business selling “ride improvement kits” for quigley. Think about that for a second- there’s a cottage industry that exists because quigleys ride is harsh. The agile conversion fixes that from the get go. Agile”s TTB kit works much better in higher speed, Baja conditions like we have here in CA. If you’re on technical trails, a solid axle is better so quigley wins there. Most of us spend 90% of our time on pavement, so a better ride matters. Quigley is good, agile is better.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
The difference between quigley and agile is the ride. Agile does a lot of business selling “ride improvement kits” for quigley. Think about that for a second- there’s a cottage industry that exists because quigleys ride is harsh. The agile conversion fixes that from the get go. Agile”s TTB kit works much better in higher speed, Baja conditions like we have here in CA. If you’re on technical trails, a solid axle is better so quigley wins there. Most of us spend 90% of our time on pavement, so a better ride matters. Quigley is good, agile is better.
Maybe I'm being fussy at the fine details, but what's the difference in cost for the 4wd conversion? I realize that it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I've heard people ballpark $1K for the RIP suspension, and I'm certain that Agile is not pocketing all of that. Isn't the kit four Fox shocks and two front springs? Assuming Agile pays @$150/ea they're only pocketing $100-200 for tuning them up and shipping them out. I think I was looking at some Bilstein stuff that was like $200/shock (It was a while back, don't remember exactly what they were).

My guess is that Quigley gets all the contracts for commercial application (DEA, BP, I think I've even seen these as FedEx/UPS vehicles, resort vehicles, etc etc), and it's likely because they are undercutting competition at a rate that isn't insignificant.

Not knowing what Agile costs, I think I saw paperwork saying a Quigley conversion was about $10-12K, my guess is that you could grab the Agile suspension and in the end the conversion cost would end up being about the same.

... FWIW.. I've driven in 4wd @ 55+ In the snow, 50+ on gravel/unpaved roads & at a decent rate through slick (but not deep) mud. Haven't done any sand driving, but I've always liked the solid front axle and all-manual transfer case (I have heard the occasional bad thing about electronic/push-button transfer cases giving issues). It's never let me down and I've never got stuck (yet... ).

That said, most all of the miles I do are freeway driving from Bozeman to Oakland. I would wholeheartedly agree, that the Quigley doesn't have the nicest ride. I've found that it reacts especially poor to anything that is sudden or jolting, such as curbs, speed bumps, washboard & potholes.
I still remember when my dad nearly put my head through the roof of the van when he hit an unmarked speedbump covered with dirt from neighborhood road construction...