Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Opinions appreciated

Looking for a quality used SMB can get frustrating.I often think Quigley will 4x4 and Lift a used van under 5 years and 60k miles for around 14500.Twenty for van + Quigley = 34500 + penthouse = 44500+ Aluminess = 50k so will 10k finish it out at 60k or is a complete used SMB the better route to go? Which makes more since? Thanks

Lakefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

Depends on your skill set and the amount of time you can and want to devote to the interior buildout. The 4x4 conversion takes about a week. A penthouse top about the same. The interior conversion can take a week if you just throw some 2x4s at it or six to eight months or more for a first class DYI interior with all the bells and whistles.

So, if you want instant use buy a used Sportsmobile. Otherwise do it yourself and save some cash.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

DIY will likely have lower resale value, though, than a van converted by a known brand.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
DIY will likely have lower resale value, though, than a van converted by a known brand.
Good point on resale. Not super familiar with SMB build out prices but seems like I've seen 30k or better maybe? If that's the case a ready to go unit for 60 to 70 factory build out would make more sense sounds like. Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

More since what? I'm confused.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #6

Sorry was referring to which avenue made the most sense to me. Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

You can get a used SMB for a lot less and get started enjoying it. It comes down to this with a home build. What is your skill set and what is your time frame? If you (and maybe your family) like ongoing projects in the driveway or garage instead of camping, then build one. It's expensive and time consuming. I love it.......and I hate it. I've done several. If you see and SMB in the wild and think, "that's what I want to do! I want to be camping and enjoying!" then hunt for a used one. You'll learn a lot about what your needs/wants are from that first used one. I honestly wouldn't recommend that anyone new to these or this lifestyle build OR buy one without trying one first. It can be a huge financial and time commitment and you may find it doesn't even work for you.

Give us your intended uses, number of people, pets, etc., location and some more info and good advice will abound.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Thanks you steered me in the right direction will buy used SMB. Currently selling the fifth wheel and duramax truck. Just 2 of us. I will post when I am ready to buy for help with the search. Thanks