Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

Paddy wagon

Not mine, no affiliation, etc.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...459855933.html

I bit off a little more than I could chew at the auction the other day. Up for sale is a well maintained Ford E450 Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Prisoner Van. Or Tiny Home. Or Guest House. Let your imagination run wild. Mine sure did. Then I drove it home and found that it will not fit in my driveway very well. Well it fits, but I have to squeeze by it in order to move my (many) other vehicles. As they say, my loss is your gain.

This potential eyesore has 141k miles on it, and it runs perfectly. Police vehicles are usually well maintained at taxpayer expense, and this one is no different. It came from the City of Sacramento, where I'm certain that it had no shortage of well behaved "guests" inside.

Not sure that Craigslist has enough space for me to list all of the exotic features of this paddy wagon. This rig has two "guest seating areas", one accessed by the door on the passenger side, and one accessed by the rear door. The rear door has a fold down "porch" or non-ADA entry steps. Pretty cool. I was thinking about welding a BBQ grill to it.

Seats are in excellent shape, the van has power windows and door locks, A/C, cruise control, and many other amenities. Runs and drives well. There is some kind of battery drain, probably due to the cops haphazardly removing equipment. Charging system (two alternators) works as it should.

Another interesting feature of this shaggin wagon is the built in streaming webcams. You know, to keep an eye on your "guests" locked up in back I think the cops took the controllers and stuff, but the cameras are still there.

Oh speaking of the cops, there is a vast sea of wiring between the front seats which I assume used to be attached to light controllers, sirens, radios, etc. That stuff has all been removed (by law) and it's a real mess. But don't let that get in the way of your dreams.

So in all seriousness, if you're not going to drive around with The Gimp from Pulp Fiction in the back, this thing would make an awesome RV conversion. That's what I had planned for it before I realized that I have neither enough time nor money to turn that dream into a reality. It has two massive house batteries and may or may not have roof air for the guests in back. There is a big box on top which I have not investigated. Check out Youtube for Ambulance to RV conversions and let your imagination loosen the strings on your bank account.

I accept most cryptocurrencies, Rupees, or Ben Franklins. Preferably the latter. I'll trade for a V8 Volvo, like XC90 or S80.

Questions ? Feel free to inquire.

Thanks !

motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #2

Absolutely ROFL at that description. Well done.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Love the "Maxium occupancy 8 guests" sticker!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote