Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
+1

Other van is a home build, so hard to gauge. Definitely worth less than a SMB build, but how much less? Depends on build quality, component quality, and your personal preference.
For me, some homebuilds might actually be MORE desirable than a SMB. These are rare, but are out there. There have been several (many) build threads here that are obviously done to a much higher standard than SMB builds. The $39k van referenced in this thread with the home build looks to have a high level of craftsmanship, although it's hard to tell in the photos for sure. It also does not have a pop-top or high roof, so there's that...

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
For me, some homebuilds might actually be MORE desirable than a SMB. These are rare, but are out there. There have been several (many) build threads here that are obviously done to a much higher standard than SMB builds. The $39k van referenced in this thread with the home build looks to have a high level of craftsmanship, although it's hard to tell in the photos for sure. It also does not have a pop-top or high roof, so there's that...
Sure, there are a few vans and a few potential buyers who buck the trend, but the market definitely values home builds less than SMBs.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
What are you looking for needhelp??

Unfortunately some pricing is subjective, especially with home builds. Like rally said, this one is a salvage, so there are issues with that and you have to accept some risk. But it's a very well decked out van with a great drivetrain.

The other van you are looking at is also really nice, but it's subjective because it's a home build, so it's up to you if you like the build or not or if they did a good job. It's certainly a nice van.

Other than price, what are your criteria in looking for a van?

I ask because I have been in your shoes. Folks around here put me on the path.
I would like a rear a/c and a spot for a composting toilet or if it has a marine one in place thats cool. and a roof rack or ability to have on installed. 2 or 4 well drive is ok with me. most of the vans have pretty much what i'm looking for minus toilet and rear a/c. and a v10 would be nice also but a nice v8 would do. have 50k to spend. I have also read inhere that we can't always get what we want i may have to add a few items i want. I'm good with that.
needhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #14

30k on that van, tops. No matter what is fixed that title will always be salvage and the buyer being able to get something out of it when sold must be considered. It's at a used car place, though, so of course it's going to be overpriced. It probably smells like a urinal mint inside too.

Rear air is not at all easy to add to a converted van that doesn't have it. As for a composting toilet that shouldn't be too hard.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #15

Good article on salvage vehicles:

5 reasons to avoid salvage-title cars | CarInsurance.com

Too bad, the layout is pretty much what I'm after.
bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongcrosby View Post
Good article on salvage vehicles:

5 reasons to avoid salvage-title cars | CarInsurance.com

Too bad, the layout is pretty much what I'm after.
I have a salvage vehicle, but I did a lot of due diligence prior to buying it. I checked with my insurance company (AAA) and they had no issues insuring it at all, and I made a lot of call to investigate the legitimacy of the vehicle to make sure there wasn't title washing going on.

I also have another vehicle with an "Assigned VIN". A compete body swap (one vehicle year body to another year body. Again, it just took some extra calls to my insurance company, some extra calls to DMV and some extra patience, but no real issues to deal with.

Both of the above vehicles were brought into California from out of state, so if I can make it happen there, you should be able to make it happen just about anywhere (provided the vehicle checks out properly).

Herb
Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #17

Yes, Herb, I should add I personally have no issue with salvage title, I've had a few.. But they are worth less, and can be more difficult to insure.

I'd have no problem buying this van either, assuming I checked it out, just not at $40k.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Agree Rallypanam.

A salvage title is definitely a major leverage point in negotiations (but make sure it checks out first, and that your insurer will cover it).

The one vehicle I have with the Salvage/Rebuilt title is going to stay with me a loooong time, so I was never really concerned about resale value.

Herb
Old 01-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Yes, Herb, I should add I personally have no issue with salvage title, I've had a few.. But they are worth less, and can be more difficult to insure.

I'd have no problem buying this van either, assuming I checked it out, just not at $40k.
Agreed.

And I also agree it depends on the individual. You can win here if you're careful and you keep cars a long time. I don't, so I stay away from salvage titles.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #20

price

just talked to the guy I asked him before I fly out to look at it whats your bottom dollar? He said 35k?
needhelp is offline   Reply With Quote