Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #1

Garage
Portland Quadvan

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...057268467.html

This looks like a great starting point.

Not affiliated.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

This is probably one of QuadVan’s TTB conversion since it is stock height and pre 2004/5. The TTB front by QuadVan (as many of their other conversions) was a Ford approved upfit. It utilized the vans stock brakes, kept the 8x6.5 and the same front track as the stock van came from the factory, and all service parts are Ford. IF it also has the Sport suspension package that is a killer handling combo. Handles fine without the Sport package, too.

We had a 2003 v10 QuadVan TTB w Sport, it was an awesome rig.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #3

I also think it's a TTB setup, based on the ride height and the 16" Alcoa wheels. This will be a great rig for somebody!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Looks nice but some reason it’s been for sale for along time
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Available at least since November.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...0-a-25199.html

Herb
Old 01-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

That’s been for sale for so long I was thinking there was something wrong with it. But I think it’s just a pricing problem.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Is the old Quadvan TTB the same as Agile's TTB?
Or does one have better travel?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler View Post
Is the old Quadvan TTB the same as Agile's TTB?
Or does one have better travel?
Here are my observations (subject to someone more knowledgeable making corrections if I am wrong)

We had a QV TTB for 13 yrs and have had the Agile TTB for 4 years.

While they are very similar obviously since they are both TTB Dana 50's and they both add the coil spring perches, there are some differences between the two.

Agile likely has a bit more travel due to its custom designed/ fabricated radius arm design. But with an added sway bar wheel travel will be limited by the links.

QV TTB has a the Big (1997 style) Bronco parallel radius arm setup they then adapted for the van conversions.

Agile does not widen the track to match the stock 2WD front track and thus the Agile TTB track actually matches the OEM rear wheel track. Good and bad here as the track is the same so no spacer's for the rear but the FRONT track is 3" narrower than stock.

QuadVan TTB changes the TTB axles pivot point and adds an axle spacer to have the track match the stock 2wd van front track. This was likely a necessity for QVan since their system is Ford Approved. Thus QVan uses much of the stock van's steering components while Agile has to make modifications due to the narrower track. Qvan offered 1.5" spacers for the rear wheels to have the rear track match the front track.

The handling is pretty much the same between the two. Our QV TTB was a V10 EB with dual front shocks and serious sway bars. It handled mountain roads unbelievably for a 6,000 lb+ vehicle. BUT the wheel travel limited by the sway bars was bad for offroad.

The Agile is a 7.3 EB - the extra weight of the 7.3 definitely changes the handling. We also have a sway bar up front and I have not missed the rear sway bar. Ramsey (Agile) was against installing the front sway bar and said it would handle fine without it. I asked that it be put on and he did so. I have not driven it without the sway bar so I have no feedback if he was correct.

Both use the vans OEM brakes in their standard conversions. Agile (and I guess QuadVan) have a big brake option.

QuadVan stopped TTB conversions in early mid 2004 when Ford ran out of new stock for the parts he was using. Since he conversion was a Ford Approved Upfit he had to follow the agreed to conversion process. He had no desire (I a guessing Ford frowned upon) to refurb F250HD TTB parts to continue to offer his TTB. Plus QVan had designed a Ford Approved solid front axle conversion at that point knowing the demise of new parts was on the horizon.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
1der!!! I own a 13' QV and THOUGHT I knew stuffs.....but I have learned even more! THX! We love our QV/Dual front Bilsteins, and Bilstein/air bags on back....handles like a car...ok a very loaded car (lol)...John was great, and went with QV b/c of the lack of cutting and welding parts that other 4x4 converters do....plus no bump stop problems ever! I haven't been off-roading extremes to know if the sway bars hinder our exploration...

side note/quesiton 1der, can we disconnect sway to increase wheel travel or is that not possible? Again, great write up/info!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #10

ctb - Lol! I am sure you know lots about your QV solid front axle! Those I am not familiar with.

Re seat bar links- depends on how the sway bar interfaces with the axle. I have seen Quigley’s that the ends are located into holes on the axle housing. If there are links on yours I am guessing some form of quick disconnects can be fashioned. SMB’s Atlas 4x4 system has quick disconnects.

What you get with the disconnect is the ability for the axle to articulate without the hinderance/resistance that the sway bar creates.