Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

Re: Potential rig............

Did you see this one thats listed on the SMB Texas site as well?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=364

Its a 2wd, but has a very similar layout and options as the 4wd you originally posted. It has a 6.0 diesel with some more miles, but its also $33k less. You could easily add 4wd, wheels, tires, bumpers, and some bulletproofing for that much. It also has a removable third captains chair, an onboard diesel generator, and a diesel air heater (not sure if thats a furnace...?).

Figured I would post this since you could make it very close to the one you posted for less than the price of the silver one. You would even have the option of which 4wd system to go with.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Did you see this one thats listed on the SMB Texas site as well?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=364

Its a 2wd, but has a very similar layout and options as the 4wd you originally posted. It has a 6.0 diesel with some more miles, but its also $33k less. You could easily add 4wd, wheels, tires, bumpers, and some bulletproofing for that much. It also has a removable third captains chair, an onboard diesel generator, and a diesel air heater (not sure if thats a furnace...?).

Figured I would post this since you could make it very close to the one you posted for less than the price of the silver one. You would even have the option of which 4wd system to go with.
That one has some real potential, but then again I had a red SMB. Fairly rare diesel fueled heater, and very rare diesel fueled generator.

As mentioned, do some bulletproofing and 4wd conversion and you're set. Now if we only knew someone on this forum who does that kind of work..... (OK, some Aluminess bumpers would be great too).

Herb
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #13

Thanks guys,

I have toyed with the idea of making some improvements to a 2wd and haven't completely ruled it out. However, I'm pretty gun-shy of the 6.0. I've read threads where people haven't had any serious issues, but I have some friends that had the 6.0 in other Fords and it was a nightmare for all of them. Seems like bulletproofing should put you in the clear but I don't have a ton of confidence in that engine so I'm worried that would always be in the back of my mind. Granted I'm sure there are numerous members here that are very happy with their 6.0's. So not knocking that engine just not sure it's for us.

The wholly grail would be a 7.3 but those seem to be Unicorns and I doubt I'll find one.

Therefore, I've been leaning towards the gas guzzling V10 (also read all the diesel versus gas threads). Not trying to debate that here just thinking the V10 would be our target engine.

The good news is we aren't in a rush and have time to think this over. I'm debating making a trip down to Fresno to look at various models and layouts to dial it in before we lay money out. Thats probably the smart move. Hard to resist rigs when they pop up though. Prime camping season is upon us.

Once again thanks for all the input. It really helps.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Garage

I have a 7.3 and love it, but the cost of maintenance verse fuel cost on a V10 make it a wash. I would have no issues buying a V10 knowing what I know now.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #15

TexGX,

Thats kinda where I'm at with the V10. I'm a marine engineer so I have a love/hate relationship with diesels. That horse has obviously been beat on this forum but all those threads were pretty valuable to hear both sides.

I also randomly just read through your build thread. Awesome stuff. Great looking rig.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #16

Ditto to TexGX's comment. Love my 7.3 but would be more inclined to go with a gas engine in the future.
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote