Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Potential rig............

Greetings,

I've been lurking/reading this forum extensively the past month or so. Now is probably the time for an introduction as the wife, lab, and I are looking for our first SMB. Seen quite a few pop up this spring but either I've been to slow (traveling with work) or not quite what we are looking for. Seems like the general consensus is to get something used and figure out exactly what fits your needs. On the other hand we are pretty flexible and really just want a rig to do short trips around the West. So now debating buying a used but relatively new E350 and just make it work. My fear is if we wait to long the E350's will be fewer and fewer and then we really won't be able to find what we want. Therefore, we are willing to make a substantial purchase if the rig is right compared to trying to find a deal on an older model.

I was hoping to get any thoughts on this one:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=357

Anyone have an info on this rig or know the history? Price seem fair? I don't want to step on anyones toes if the owner is a member but with such a large purchase I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks for your time....really great resource here.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Potential rig............

I really think that is one of the better layouts for a SMB and is very easy to work with. Nothing to but to do it.

The one thing about this layout is you cant just put stuff under the back and it needs to find a home. I love mine and not having to go outside to get anything in bad weather not that that happens much

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

I think it's a great layout if there's just the two of you (plus pets) traveling, but not so good if more than two humans are traveling. If guests and/or kids are coming along, sitting sideways isn't so great, and there's not really any room to add a Captains seat.

Herb
Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Looks like a great rig and great layout. Looks extremely clean.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

I have a very similar floor plan and have had guests on the couch without complaints. Adults, not kids. I also have a diesel pusher motor home where the couch is sideways and again, no complaints from anyone riding there, including my kids. I personally like the walk through floor plan as it fits my needs better than a 50 plan. I have enough storage in the back that I carry my 35" tire on the DS and an Engel fridge on the other. I don't know what that van is worth but I saw it online last week I think. If it was $20K cheaper, I'd have mine up for sale while trying to grab that one. Lol!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

Thats a really nice rig. I really like how they left the storage space in the back.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty difficult to nail down a fair market value on these as prices seem to be all over the place. I think thats expected considering the uniqueness of each rig but it always good to hear feedback.

Good points on the lack of Captains chair but since we don't plan on having kids I think I like the layout. Worst case if friends come along they just have to tough it out.

My only concerns where no cook stove and the portable solar kit. However, in other threads I've read where some prefer to cook outside so not to leave odors in the van. I figure I can just get a portable propane stove to solve that problem but I'm sure there would be days when we wished we had one inside.

The other concern was the portable solar kit compared to solar panels on the roof. I'm going to dig through the archives today and see what opinions are on the portable kits. I like the idea of parking in the shade and then putting the portable kit in the sun for charging but need to look at pro's/con's on that end.

Once again thanks for all input. I can't imagine trying to sort all this out without this forum for a resource.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Potential rig............

Zamp solar for a portable kit, only drawback to those is that you have to find a home for it, taking up valuable space vs a fixed panel up on the roof. Nice rig though
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Adding fixed solar to the van wouldn't be hard to do and SMB might even be able to prep it for solar for you. There are pro's and con's to fixed solar vs. portable solar and the main pro for fixed solar is that its always working, so if you haven't driven your van in a few weeks, your batteries are still topped off (unless you're parked in a garage). The main pro for portable solar is that you can park in the shade and move the panel to the sun.

We never cooked inside the van, but we also never camped in poor/cold weather where we would need to cook inside the van. That van does have a lot of counter space so you could easily place a butane or propane stove on there, just open a couple windows!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

Well looks like someone already ahead of us in the offering process and I'm not certain this was "the one" for us any ways. Back to scouring the internet.