Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Quadravan 4X4 Pop Top Camper Van Project - $1,850 Obo

Pop Top 4x4 Expedition Camper Van Project for sale. Hate to see this project go but I am losing my storage space and have no choice. My plan was to build and extremely capable, durable, yet mechanically simple & easy to repair expedition camper van. This is a great opportunity to build a unique expedition camper for the fraction of the cost of of a sportsmobile or other 4x4 van. The approach and departure angles are amazing and the 4x4 running gear is all there and bullet proof. Build it yourself or I know of a shop in southern california that could do almost all the work at a very reasonable hourly rate.

Up for sale are two econoline vans the first is a very rare 1973 4x4 Ford Econoline Shorty Quadravan. This was one of less than ten shorty vans ever converted to 4x4 in this body style. It has an excellent wheelbase for serious offroad capability but still enough interior space for a good camper van and is smog free in CA, I was planning on eventually swapping in a cummings 4bt. The van runs and drives but will need new tires. It has a dana 44 front axel, a dana 60 rear and a dana 20 transfer case mated to a c4. The motor is a rebuilt ford 302 v8 with 22,000 miles. The motor runs strong and has new plugs, cap and rotor, vacuum lines and fresh oil. The trans is fine but drips a bit of fluid. The body has some rust and damage but is totally repairable. The typical trouble spots: gutters and below the front windshield are in good shape but the lower section of the panels and the bottoms of the doors need work. The repair should be fairly simple and 6 new doors are included. The van is currently registered and I have title in hand.

The second van is a 1969 Econoline Poptop. This is the donor van for the project, it has a salvage title and is not currently registered. The pop top is a turtle top and is in excellent condition. My plan was to install the pop top on the yellow van. This literally is just a matter of cutting a hole in the roof and bolting in the pop top frame. The doors are a bolt in replacement for the rusted ones of the yellow van and the white van has all the sheet metal required to patch the rusted panels of the yellow van. The white van's dash and windshield are also in great shape. The van is pretty much complete minus drive train. It is currently sitting on early model ford bronco running gear which is not for sale however can be used to transport the van. The white van has a bunch of assorted spares including radiator, various trims and AC system.

As I said I hate to see this project go and really would like to see it go to someone who could build it to its full potential. With a small budget this project could easily be as capable if not more than a sportsmobile for 1/20th of the cost. I am selling the entire project for $1,850 OBO my loss your gain. The parts alone are worth much more than that. I am willing to consider shipping options.

desertdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Anyone know if this is still available?
Hareph is offline   Reply With Quote