Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mer1039 View Post
I just bought the updated 100W Renogy Eclipse portable WO/Controller (Amazon $329). It will be plugged into the SAE ZAMP port I have in the rear of my van. I did have to modify the connector cables so that the polarity matches up with how the ZAMP port is configured. When plugged in, this portable panel will run in parallel with two ZAMP 100W roof top panels.

I only intend to use the portable panel when my roof top panels are shaded and daily SOLAR charging can't keep up with electrical use.
I am looking to construct a setup similar to yours. The Renology portable is a nice compact size with a good price. I have Zamp 100W panels with a built in Zamp controller. You mention that you had to modify the Renology cables to be compatible with the Zamp port (attached image). What did you actually do? Did you reterminate the cables to Zamp-type connectors? I see on the Renology website that their cable terminations are different. Thanks and regards.
Attached Thumbnails
solar connector.jpg  

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
I am looking to construct a setup similar to yours. The Renology portable is a nice compact size with a good price. I have Zamp 100W panels with a built in Zamp controller. You mention that you had to modify the Renology cables to be compatible with the Zamp port (attached image). What did you actually do? Did you reterminate the cables to Zamp-type connectors? I see on the Renology website that their cable terminations are different. Thanks and regards.
Jack,

The cables from my Renogy portable solar panel (wo/controller) terminate with MC4 connectors. The positive (+) lead is terminated with a male MC4. The negative (-) lead is terminated with a female MC4. The exterior ZAMP port accepts a cable with an SAE connector.

To connect my Renogy portable I needed an adapter cable that is MC4 on one side and SAE on the other. There are premade adapter cables like this available but you have to make sure the cable connectors are wired correctly so that the polarity from the solar panel cables will be in sync with the external ZAMP port’s polarity.

I decided to make my own cable starting with a cable that had an SAE connector on one side and bare wires on the other end. I then attached male and female MC4 connectors to the bare ends making sure the solar panels positive (+) polarity connector would connect to the correct side of the SAE connector for (+).

Here is a pic of the ZAMP external port (note which side of the plug is positive). I used a multimeter to confirm that my external plug was wired for positive (+) as in the picture.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...1&d=1551334018

These are the cables from my solar panel:

This is the adapter cable I made (before the connectors were crimped on):

I also bought two 15 foot Renogy extension cables (Amazon):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPK3MBA...-1-spons&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
cables from solar panel.jpeg   my  adaper cable.jpeg   ZAMP external plug.jpg  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #13

Thanks for the details, nice writeup!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote