Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #21

That is a really nice van. Looks like some bidding action and I suspect it will sell for a good price. Doug, this is just what you need. Interior doesn't cut it for me otherwise I would be in the bidding war as this one is sahweet.

Edit to add: I search "Sportsmobile" on eBay and that one does not come up. Odd.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #22

Thanks for the great replies, you guys! The one that best fits my needs was the 06 extended bed currently on Ebay. But my wife and I have lots of toys we want have room to store (bikes, inflatable boat, etc) and are realizing a rear dinette isn't a good floorplan for us since stored gear has to be moved and possibly set outside each night when the bed is needed. Keep up the great ideas!
dmavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmavor View Post
Thanks for the great replies, you guys! The one that best fits my needs was the 06 extended bed currently on Ebay. But my wife and I have lots of toys we want have room to store (bikes, inflatable boat, etc) and are realizing a rear dinette isn't a good floorplan for us since stored gear has to be moved and possibly set outside each night when the bed is needed. Keep up the great ideas!
I'm not sure any conventional SMB floor plan will suit your needs for storage. The 50 layout has a shelf that goes to the back doors which is part of the bed. The 30 layout has an aisle which is needed when the gaucho bed is deployed. Even if you plan on sleeping up in the penthouse, it would be very clustered inside with bikes and other large items to store.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #24
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Don't forget about a gently used "normal' or 'pre-SMB' van. The first SMB we actually got to talk to the owner was in a La Push, WA area campground. He had bought a used 15 passenger van and took it to Sportsmobile to do the work; penthouse, kitchen, etc... It might cost a bit more, maybe even less than a used SMB? I would think it would give many of you a viable option to get an SMB, let alone one designed just as you have described...b/c you and your wife would be designing it...who knows, it might even have 4x4 (no lift, and goodies, but!!)...That would be my route if I was in the market now. Good luck on your search everyone!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Don't forget about a gently used "normal' or 'pre-SMB' van. The first SMB we actually got to talk to the owner was in a La Push, WA area campground. He had bought a used 15 passenger van and took it to Sportsmobile to do the work; penthouse, kitchen, etc... It might cost a bit more, maybe even less than a used SMB?
I am of the same thinking CTB. We have a starter SMB now(95 Dodge RB30) and it is great but it is not the ultimate setup for us. For the cost of used(10+ yr old) 4x4 SMB's I have seen, I think I could come close to the same cost using a 2008+ Ford Van as a base and getting a brand spankin new SMB interior laid out the exact way I want. Granted it won't have 4x4, but that can be added at any point down the road, changing a SMB interior to suit your exact needs seems much harder than taking a 2wd Ford van to a 4x4 shop and getting it converted. Same with things like light bars, solar, etc... anything that is a bolt on can be added later.

I think the problem many have with going this route is the extended year+ wait for an SMB build. Luckily I have lots of patience when it comes to getting things I want exactly as I want them!
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #26

Ben102281 and CTB I'm starting to think a van build might be an option. My starter (94 Dodge RB30) is still in use after 5.5 years since purchase. With a Buyer’s market on Sportsmobiles, right now, I haven’t been able to find a lower mileage and newer replacement with the floor plan I want. I wonder if an option would be to buy a newer used Sportsmobile and consider modifying the interior cabinet layout to get a floor plan closer to what you want? Anyone done this cost effectively. Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #27

"⛽️EPA Fuel Economy Est - City 14-Mpg And 19-Mpg On The Hwy With a 36 Gallon Fuel Tank."

Doooon't yoooooou belieeeevvvee iiiiiiittt.

Uh yeah maybe a 2016 transit ecoboost not a v10.

Try 12 avg with 2wd. 10 if equip with 4x4.

odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringhawk View Post
Ben102281 and CTB I'm starting to think a van build might be an option. My starter (94 Dodge RB30) is still in use after 5.5 years since purchase. With a Buyer’s market on Sportsmobiles, right now, I haven’t been able to find a lower mileage and newer replacement with the floor plan I want. I wonder if an option would be to buy a newer used Sportsmobile and consider modifying the interior cabinet layout to get a floor plan closer to what you want? Anyone done this cost effectively. Terry
I bought a walk-through (EB-23 maybe?) model and needed a third captain's chair for my son. Removed the sink cabinet inside the barn doors and mounted a seat there.

On the Ebay one mentioned, I was thinking that the dinette/bed could probably be shortened pretty easily since it's so long, allowing open storage at the rear. Cut some wood, the cushion slider track, and have the cushions shortened and you are good to go (assuming the space is empty under that area). Our layout is similar to the Ebay one, with a rear dinette, except we have cabinets at the back doors that are about the extra length of an EB vs RB van (about 2').
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
"⛽️EPA Fuel Economy Est - City 14-Mpg And 19-Mpg On The Hwy With a 36 Gallon Fuel Tank."

Doooon't yoooooou belieeeevvvee iiiiiiittt.

Uh yeah maybe a 2016 transit ecoboost not a v10.

Try 12 avg with 2wd. 10 if equip with 4x4.

I saw that too. I had a nice laugh.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #30

Don't know if this rig has been mentioned but...
http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventor...ventory_id=275