Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

SMB Wanted: $100 finder's fee offered!

My wife and I have been patiently looking at the SMB pre-owned site, this forum and at Craigslist nationwide for a gently used Sportsmobile in which we can ride off into the sunset! We have missed a few good ones, but alas, nothing currently advertised out there seems to suit our needs.

Do any of you have a neighbor or relative who isn’t actively using their rig and might be ready to sell? If so, we are offering a $100 reward if you can give us the lead that ends in a sold SMB.

Here is our ideal purchase (though we would give serious consideration to any available SMB):

2004 or newer
Less than 60k miles
Penthouse sleeping plus an additional sleeping area downstairs
RB 50 floorplan preferred but not required
Installed heating system preferred
2WD preferred but would consider 4x4
Good condition

We are cash buyers and ready to travel to make the purchase.

Thank you for your help!
Doug M

dmavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #2

What's your budget?
Do you want an extended body or regular body?
gas or diesel?
Old 01-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Up to $45,000. Much more that that digs into retirement funds.

I think we can fit in a RB but my wife is lobbying for extended body. Would look at both.

Gas is preferred. Less familiar with diesel, but wouldn't rule it out.
dmavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Hi Doug,

I think you hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph. “nothing currently advertised out there seems to suit our needs.”

I have been looking since I bought our 1994 Dodge RB30 about 5.5 years ago for something similar that is less than 10 yrs old and has lower miles. I’d like to share a couple of suspicions that I think might be going on. Just speculation.

A good many buyers order a new van at retirement and enjoy their units for a long while. I found my van because the original owner was getting up there in age after 15 years of ownership.

About five years ago the baby boomers started to retire. It seemed like there were more vans available before this happened.

New four-wheel drive units have become more popular as have the Sprinter based vans. Both are expensive units. At this time “Sportsmobile.com” has quite a few RB & EB 50 units available but at high prices, at least for my wallet.

You mentioned that you missed a few. Just happened to me. A young couple found a van that had just been traded in at a RV dealer and grabbed it up. (good for them!) I’ve noticed that many dealers and RV buyers have become more aware of the Sportsmobile brand and often the vans don’t show up on our site or even on Craigslist.

All that hypothesizing makes me wonder how we ever find what we are looking for. But, it does seem to eventually happen because, through diligence, we often are the first to get there. When I found mine the buyer said that if I had changed my mind it was OK because he had four other guys right behind me that would come and get it. Keep up the quest; you will be on cloud nine when you find yours!

Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Don't overlook the older Fords just due to age. I have a 98 with 97,000 miles and it's nicer and runs better than some newer ones I've seen. All depends on how they are maintained. Up to 2008 they are all pretty much the same, except for some cosmetic and other changes along the way. I upgraded my front brakes and suspension to a 2012 setup so I figure I got most of the "new" E-van benefits covered, too.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmavor View Post

2004 or newer
Less than 60k miles
Penthouse sleeping plus an additional sleeping area downstairs
RB 50 floorplan preferred but not required
Installed heating system preferred
2WD preferred but would consider 4x4
Good condition
To meet your requirements best, and get the most out of them, I would recommend a Ford 2wd 5.4l extended body. You don't sound like you really need 4x4 or diesel (or at least the big and strong v10 gasser) which many SMB types want, so choosing the 5.4 (plenty strong) and looking harder at 2wds will get you closer to your budget with the 2004 and <60k desires. I agree with Brian though, there are no downsides to the Fords from the late 90's up. In fact, they're basically the same.
Why the extended body? Because she likes it, and there is no downside to it at all. Same wheelbase and drivability as the RB, just more space.

Also, I would definitely look at Chevys too but there just aren't very many of them. Fords are plentiful, relatively speaking, and the 50 floor plan is by far the most popular.

Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #7

Here are a couple that popped up in my search today. None of them meet all of your requirements but the prices are good. Maybe not what you want exactly hopefully worth sharing.

Very Nice 2007 Sportsmobile Class B

2007 Sportsmobile Class B Vancamper/Traveling Van

2002 E350 - 4x4 - Sportsmobile RB50
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

I had to laugh when I read this post as it describes our situation exactly except for a few details (like rear dinette) on the wish list.

I think Terry’s assessment of the market situation is spot on.

Brian- appreciate your insight on the Fords. We had an older Dodge and it was in great shape and loved the layout but it was “dodgy” as my husband put it and we sold it recently and are now looking for it’s replacement.

Scotty- those are all nice vehicles you listed and wondering how you do your search? I have set up several differnt types of search alerts and none of them has found any of the ones you listed. Can you share the search you use?

Finally, we were able to get our 96 Dodge into our garage. Can anyone tell me if the Fords with penthouse are a little taller? If we have to park it outside anyway we may consider one without the penthouse and just go with a fixed top.
foco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #9

Thanks Scotty.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
MSD

Garage
HI Doug - Have you thought of doing a google analytics search so you get updates when certain key words hit the internet, like 2wd Sportsmobile, Quigley, Sportsmobile and so on. It's how I found my rig after looking for over a year. I still get the updates which I like… If I think it may be of interest to the forum I post it up in the classifieds. You can put key words in to modify your search criteria… check it out.
Cheers
Mark
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote