Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #11

I have a lot of work to do now but I’m very excited about the prospects.

Towing this from Minnesota to Utah this weekend. Anyone need something transported along the route?
Short stop near Fargo for work which means this gets written off and expensed as a business trip.

I’ve been thinking a full van would be the best choice. It’s hard to find a good used top. I’ve been searching for the last year or more. I’m happy that I can remove this myself and take my time to do it properly.

I’ve been checking Searchtempest on the weekends but get busy during the week and miss things sometimes. It’s helpful that you all keep watching and posting these good deals.

I’d been watching some other options like this but most were closer to $10,000 and a more risky route. Steal the pop top, install a high top, and re-sell the van. Saw that great one in Washington earlier this year for $5,000 but it sold within a day and I was way too late. That was a hell of a deal someone got. Best older van I’ve seen.

TwoXentrix:
I’m glad you posted this and I found it. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you very much.

Michal740:
Don’t give up on your top. You’ve progressed much further than I thought possible with that one. I think you’ve passed the hard part. The mechanical should be fairly easy. BoyWonder’s posts are very detailed and helpful with that part.
I’m going to take the canvas off to follow his lead and repair the holes. I’d be happy to help you with dimensions and a template for yours. I might be tempted into selling the canvas once I have a template. I’m crazy enough to DIY for grey canvas and insulation.

BoyWonder:
Thanks again to you and the others that have made such great posts on self installs. I’ve learned a lot from you and was inspired to DIY from what you posted. I’m going to follow every bit of your process.

86Scotty:
Thank you for your posts. Sure do appreciate your knowledge and helpfulness. I’ll ask about the console first thing.

ArcticTraveller:
If I part this out the door pockets are yours. If not I’ll keep an eye out when I visit the parts yard. You’ve easily earned my respect and help.

I often feel indebted to many of you regular posters. I’ve learned a lot of great things from what you have shared here.

The mechanical issues this van has make me think it may not be worth fixing. I’ll have to evaluate once I get it home. It would be simple to fix the mechanical, install a high top and sell the whole van in one transaction. Parting it out may be the route I take though. So many dents! I barely have time to modify my van.

I’m 99% into this for the top. I’ll probably take the rear pop out windows if they are clear. Mine are scratched. If I do I’ll sell the set I currently have. I still have a set of gold tinted pop outs for sell. I need to update that post and a few others to share some good information I’ve learned.

If this gets parted out I’ll make a post in the main classified section. Please share a post here if you need something from this van other than the top. If there is a lot of interest in parts that will help me decide since I don’t know what to do yet and you all know a lot more than I do.

Thanks again everyone.

JVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

JVan: Where are you in Utah?....I'll likely be in Moab this coming Monday-Wed to ride some dirt bikes.....camping in the van...if you aren't too far away and want to chat let me know.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
JVan: Where are you in Utah?....I'll likely be in Moab this coming Monday-Wed to ride some dirt bikes.....camping in the van...if you aren't too far away and want to chat let me know.
Unfortunatelty I have another work project starting Monday.
I would love to join you. It would be great to meet you and see your van in person. You’ve done some great things with your build.

Let me know next time you’re in the area. We’ll have to get together.
JVan is offline   Reply With Quote