Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #11

Re: Sportsmobile GMC Savanna 3500 Quigley 4X4 - $39500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail
Hey ya'll,

Any opinions about a good price for this van?

I'm interested, would have to add solar probably though to keep fridge going.
Not much info on the electrical setup as to number of battery, etc.

Could openable windows still be installed to sub out for the rear side long panes of glass?

Seems pretty nicely set up. Any other ideas for camping mods for this rig?

Pm or email me if ya need to. Thx.
It looks like most of the windows pivot open except for one large pane on the rear passenger side window.

If I were interested in this van, I would ask the following questions...

Was there factory rear air/heat? Was it retained?
How long is the gaucho bed?
Theres a bed extension placed behind the driver's seat. Is that for the gaucho or the penthouse bed?
How many house batteries?
What appliance is next to the sink? (If it is an appliance...?)
How big is the water tank?
Is there a grey water tank?
Is there an inverter?
What is the switch panel on the cabinet behind the gaucho bed?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #12

Mikracer....thx for the thoughtful and very helpful answer and suggestions.

Jage, I know you're trying to be funny, but I've KBB'ed this out and the van with the pop top and 4wd comes to about @$24,000, then maybe another $3000 for the bumpers. So it's a little hard to see another $12000 for the rest of the build....at least on a depreciated basis.

I think the asking price is close to the value, just wanted some serious imput on what a good offer should be.

These vans, as we all know, are pretty tough to value, yet somehow a buyer has to get a lending bank to see the price as being a fair, financiable price.
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

I wasn't being funny. It's a nice van, if it had 4 up captains chairs I'd be sorely tempted.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #14

buyer beware. do your research on these older 6.0 vortec gm motors. the ones pushing 100k miles have had lots of oil pressure issues. my 05 Silverado did and I ended up buying a new motor.
nonetheless I like this ride but I would love it with a 50 floor plan.
2013 Honda Insight hybrid
jochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #15

Don't let the oil pressure issue bother you it is an easy fix. I had mine replaced as a preventative measure and it wasn't bad less than $1000 and I had all new front accessories (water pump,tensioners,belts and oil pump with pickup tube brace). The issue is an o-ring on the pickup tube which is not properly braced. I love my 6.0 it has power to spare.
The only issue with these vans is they have less axle clearance than the ford (I know that is hard to believe ) I would check the front end where it contacts the frame if it has been off-road a lot it will need some front end work. If I can help with any questions LMK
Jim
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail
Hey ya'll,

Any opinions about a good price for this van?

I'm interested, would have to add solar probably though to keep fridge going.
Not much info on the electrical setup as to number of battery, etc.

Could openable windows still be installed to sub out for the rear side long panes of glass?

Seems pretty nicely set up. Any other ideas for camping mods for this rig?

Pm or email me if ya need to. Thx.
It looks pretty dang good the way it is! Personally, I would add the solar as you mentioned, pretty easy with all that real estate up top for you to add 250 watts and still have room for a rack if you need. I would most definitely paint the top and maybe add an awning if you need it. A battery rack along the frame rail would be easy and there is no doubt room on an extended van, you could probably line up 4 batteries if you need with all that space. I think that must be a drop in ice chest. Yes, it has a fridge but the seller says it doesn't have a stove, and that has to be a plastic top. Some people, like us, just like to carry a lot of cold stuff. We usually fill up our big fridge with food (for 4, we rarely eat out) and then we overflow in to a cooler for drinks, extra ice, etc. With all that room in that van maybe they were just trying to keep a cooler off the floor? It makes a good countertop anyway.

I had a 6.0 GM crew cab truck for a long time and loved it. Lots of power. It pulled my 7k Airstream trailer and itself just fine. I've always wondered how a van with the 6.0 gas would be. Sounds like Jim can help if you have any issues but mine was running great at about 130k when I sold it.

Good luck! It looks like a solid buy to me if a few of Mikracer's questions can be answered.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #17

If that is a built in ice chest, that would be awesome. We always took an ice chest for drinks and loaded the fridge with food too. I didn't realize that this van was the extended model. Are they much harder to park and maneuver?

I had an 03 Escalade EXT (truck) with the 6.0 with 140k and it ran great. I never had problems with mine, but I think I remember reading something about the o rings not being installed properly on the pickup tubes or them being pinched when being installed that lead to oil pressure issues. But as someone mentioned earlier, can be resolved.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
If that is a built in ice chest, that would be awesome. We always took an ice chest for drinks and loaded the fridge with food too. I didn't realize that this van was the extended model. Are they much harder to park and maneuver?
Yes, they are harder to park and maneuver. They take a little getting used to. They have a much longer wheelbase than the Fords, which gives them a bit of an unusual look as well, but that wouldn't stop me. I've driven them many times as rentals at work and they are great vans, you just can't whip in to a tight parking space without thinking like you can in a car. I really with the aftermarket support for GM vans was as good as Ford, I'd probably be driving one.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #19

The wheelbase will get you for sure not just parking I have to be very careful not to high center my running boards.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

My F250 Crew Cab Long bed was a similar wheelbase and parking "issues". I wouldn't let that stop you from buying- the Ford EB (same length, shorter wheelbase) is twenty times easier to park, but the longer wheelbase is nice for towing, rides well, and is actually completely manageable... the F250 was a daily driver for us for many years and while it's easier to just park out in the empty part of the lot, it was possible to get into almost any space I could put the SMB into.