Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Garage
Temporary License Permit CA

Hello.

If all my plans to license fail, could I get a temporary License or Permit to drive the van out of the
state to another state from CA or any other state?

There must must be a short term option.

Ramsay's South Dakota registering option sounds pretty good though.

Doug

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #2

Re: Temporary License Permit CA

This is all I can find. Maybe useful.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy& ... wto/htvr33
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Garage

Compelled to offer my experience: Just purchased a 2006 Sportsmobile near Napa about 6 weeks ago. I had a new engine installed, and drove it back to the East coast last week. A short time into the trip, just Outside of Salt lake city, it was pointed out I had no licence plates on the Van (without realizing it, the previous owner removed them after the sale). I did have the Bill of Sale, Title, and insurance card with me (along with the receipt from the new Engine install so I felt I could make a good case if pulled over.
Drove the entire way encountering at least 20 officers in various states (some traveled directly behind me for miles at a time, which seemed like an eternity when you are waiting for the lights to come on).
Completed the journey without ever getting pulled over ! I'm convinced they spent more time looking over the van they just didn't notice the obvious.
Not saying you will have the same luck, but the possibility exists.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Not sure of the background of your purchase, but when you bought the van, did it not come with license plates? Also, after your purchase, did you ever take the title to a DMV to transfer the title into your name? If you have gone to the DMV and processed the paperwork, your van should be in your name and most likely up to date on registration, with the state license plate that you registered it in.

OR, are you purchasing the van from SMB West and need to get the paperwork processed when you purchase it from them?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #5

Yes, one of these:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy ... h25/ch25_3

The direct route bit is interesting and may or may not work for you.

That said, new vehicles in CA don't come with plates (the above form won't get you plates either). Instead, and I know this sounds absurd to non CA residents, you stick a tiny piece of poorly printed paper that fades in two days on the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield, and drive around without plates for ~6 months. So, a relatively new van without plates and just a paper on the window shouldn't get you any attention in and by itself anywhere in or near CA.

In other words, getting the correct permit is mostly an issue of being legal WRT being properly insured.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote