Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Re: TIGER Provan CXT-Dodge 4x4 RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
No worries. Did you get an email from someone from this forum who was interested in it? I responded to an email but never heard back from them.
HA! Couple questions from the forum, and I anticipate a couple more, soooooo, below is a cut and paste of my report on this Tiger.

Quote:
To: John <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:23 PM
Subject: Smitty's Tiger report

Hi John,

I spent an hour and a half with Kevin and his Tiger today, and these are my impressions:

1) I drove it for 5+ miles and it handled well, had good power and all the parts seemed to work. I didn't test the a/c or heater, but I imagine they work as all of the truck parts were in really nice condition.

2) Kevin has a fat folder full of reciepts of every time the truck ever saw a mechanic. I did not review the folder at any length, but was pleased to note it was there.

3) Kevin has owned it a short time (1 year?) and bought it from Chicago. He drove it home without issue, and has used it 2-3 times on the weekends since then.

4) The A/C pump has been replaced under Kevin's stewardship, and some front suspension parts.

5) The camper cabin is in good condition -- better than my Tiger was, though that means nothing since you never saw my Tiger. The pop-top fabric is discolored/mildewed, it smells fine but looks yucky. Maybe it would sponge clean. The screened windows in the pop top have several tear repairs, unsightly, but no big deal. Interior looks used, but certainly not abused.

6) The passenger seat turns around to face the cabin, as we suspected. The driver's seat does not. The "kingcab" area behind the passenger seat is open. The area behind the drivers side has a built in cabinet. This will be significant if you are tall: The built in cabinet does not allow the driver's seat to adjust all the way back. It was comfortable enough for my 10 minute drive, but might be a bummer over the long haul (FWIW, the Adventurewagen that I recently got has a similar issue that I am just going to have to get used to.)

7) I sort of snuck up on Kevin, which was good because it didn't give him time to primp the vehicle. It smelled like shit (his grandson had been playing in there sometime prior, and left a load in the toilet without telling anyone), and it required a jump start (I believe due to the grandson leaving the dome light on). Neither of these are a big deal, but indicate that Kevin has not been showing this vehicle much lately.

8) I asked him about his pricing rationale, and he said he priced it like he paid for it. I did not probe for any price flexibility. He has a set of macho Desert Dueller tires (new) mounted on black steel rims (I think new) that go with it if he gets the right offer. He bought them for the truck, and I presume was going to put them on when the current Michelins wear out.

9) He is a nice guy. I believe he, like me, buys and sells a number of oddball vehicles searching for the right one. He has determined that the Tiger is not the right one because his wife does not like climbing up into the cabover part. He's got all kinds of folding boats and folding bicycles and two high-low trailers in his yard.

10) The top lifts with scissor jacks, and they are turned with small electric motors (one at the front, one at the rear). The set-up, which I had never seen before, struck me as hokey and really quite large. In the photos, the 6"x6"xfullwidth boxes at the upper front and upper rear of the camper do nothing but house the scissor jacks and their motors. The motors work, but the rear one was a little janky due to a modification he'd recently made to it (I don't believe it's a big deal, but it kinda makes everything seem like crap when the pop top struggles to go up).

11) The Tiger has been sitting in the same place in his driveway for at least a couple of weeks, and I saw no evidence of oil drips. The rear of the transfer case was wet (aren't they all?), but not wet enough to drip. There may have been a little oil weep on the pan, but nothing I would consider major. The entire engine bay looked clean.

Would I buy it? Well, no, because I have already owned one. And because I really don't like Pop Tops. But if neither of those conditions apply to you, perhaps you should consider it. It's in better shape than mine was.

I am sure there's more, but that's what I remember right now. Call me to discuss if you'd like, or I will email again if I remember anything important.

The poptop roof had aftermarket-looking stiffeners on it, as well as a number of beads of caulk. The headliner inside showed no evidence of prior leaking, but it seemed like a lot of caulk...

There is no generator, nor coach AC.

Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

^^^ Very thorough! That should be enough info for an interested buyer to either commit to go look at it in person or decide it isn't for them.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #13

i would think that removing the electric motor in front and rear for the pop top is something I would do. Don't know how easy that would be to accomplish and remover the piping on the roof as it is not original and seems like home plumbing stuff you find at home depot.

I have seen the hard top versions and wonder how much better they might be as they would surely seem to keep the heat in better.

Does anyone know if they would be the same price range of what they are asking for this type ?

I think this one looks great but wonder about the other model as this one is even too big to fit in my garage so it would be kept outside either way.'