Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Two Day 4x4 Offroad Training Class - Anza Borrego - January 28 & 29, 2017

A buddy of mine on the ADVrider adventure motorcycle forum is organizing a two day 4x4 offroad training class at Anza Borrego in Southern California.

From Ron's (ramjet) thread on ADVrider:
Up for some fun, challenges and learning?

This is for capable four wheel drive vehicles and their owners who want to learn solid offroad skills, towing, winching and recovery techniques (and more!) from one of the top experts in the field.
I took one of Bill Burke's classes several years ago and it was an incredible experience in four wheel vehicle survival. So, I was overdue for a refresher and contacted Bill to see if he could come out to California and teach a class again. After working out some details and logistics the answer was - Yes! Bill is like the Jimmy Lewis of 4x4 offroad teaching, incredible knowledge and skill, organized and entertaining!

Checkout: Bill Burkes 4 Wheeling America

Class will be limited to 8 vehicles, driver and one passenger. His fee is fixed so with 8 vehicles it works out to about $480 for two full days. Camping or motel, meals not included. There is camping and motels nearby. I stayed at Borrego Springs resort last time. We all had a great time too meeting at the end of the day at local restaurants.

I'll need to get comittments to move forward with scheduling dates so for those seriously interested, we will discuss best days in January for everyone. Feel free to PM me or post up with questions. I'm doing this as a participant and not affiliated with the company.

And:
Some have inquired if this is for advanced or novice fourwheelers. Temecula Tim may want to chime in on this too, but I'd say both. This event is what Bill Burke calls experiential, as are most of his courses. You learn by being put in situations on the trail that will confront your abilities. How you respond are you unique to your knowledge and your vehicle. Next is what makes him a great instructor. He can size up your skill quickly and early on and has just about seen every vehicle in any situation (trained foreign expeditions and US Military). Not a rock crawling event tho'. There will be some trailside demos on gear and navigation too, so I'd recommend a camera or at least a notebook. So, what ever level you think you are, you will benefit and learn how to not get yourself killed out there!
Here is a link to the thread on ADVrider: Two Day 4x4 Offroad Training Class - Anza Borrego - January 28 & 29, 2017 | Adventure Rider

If you aren't a member on ADVrider, you can contact Ron via email at: rcorselli@hotmail.com

Ron will attending in a Ford E-350 with Quigley 4x4 and would love some other van folks to join him.

I can vouch that Ron, the organizer, is a good guy. Unfortunately for me, he did schedule this class before my van gets an Agile conversion. He also already has a passenger, so if someone here joins the class I might be interested in going along as a passenger and helping pay some of the course fee.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

If I didn't have to work, I'd sign up in an instant. There is a remote chance my job will get shut down for the winter, but I won't know until Jan. If it does, I might just come down to hang out, even if the class is full. Thanks for posting....
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

I'm on board, with my trusty and lovely Chief Navigator at my side.

Thanks for posting the info.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

I'm not a member on ADV Rider...

Is there a link to sign up or contact Ron through the email?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
If you aren't a member on ADVrider, you can contact Ron via email at: rcorselli@hotmail.com
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Class Dates Changed

Ron has changed the dates of the 4x4 Training Class to February 11-12.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

Garage
Interested!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

Ron says they need one more signup to make this class happen.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

I got in!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #10

Garage
You guys do know that any 4by adventure or off road class there typically includes the trail that goes through 'The Squeeze' and then down 'Heart Attack Hill'. A van will not fit through. I took my Land Rover through a while back and literally had to dig a hole in the ground behind a bush and use it before descending that hill. A trip to the body shop was also required afterwards.