Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #1

What’s this van really worth?

You guys have seen it... I’m in the market and been looking for a while. I’m also looking at a very wide range of SMBs... tell me what you think this van is realistically worth...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...800726170.html

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #2

A lot less than he’s asking.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

Ron and I had a good chuckle about this van yesterday. I personally think the builder blew it with the layout in terms of shrinking the market size. A lot of people need a second forward facing row of seats.

Anyways, i would have a really hard time going much over 75k. And that’s coming from a 7.3 owner. Obviously top shelf components used across the board. But is it even listed what the mileage is and who did the 4x4 conversion?

Lithium is nice, espar d5 is nice, but what do you think that is costing you. 10k?15k maybe?

Advertised price is what I’d expect a custom build on a used van to be delivered with all of the components brand new and to my choosing, with my layout.

Most high dollar spenders are off in sprinters these days, so i think they’ll be sitting on it for a while unless the price gets dropped significantly.

Side note, anyone know what the new sports mobile model with the custom shell is going to retail for?
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #4

What’s this van really worth?

Based on the ad, I would guess the engine has at least 150k on it. If it were under 100k, he would mention it and dub it “low mileage”. Plus, the trans has been rebuilt, which could be attributed to a lot, but to me it says that it has some miles on it.

I think the 7.3 is great, but for that kind of money you can get a pretty amazing sprinter/newer van. Where I think the 7.3 really provides value is in the $50-75k range where you aren’t getting something 4x4 and newer (like a sprinter) but want something with more power and durability than a v10 or 6.0.

That said, I would put this van in the $60-70k range. You couldn’t build it for that, and it has lots of good stuff.

BUT- that will take an extremely specific buyer. If it was an EB-50 with everything else, it would bring $75k I think. But this guy is nuts at his price.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

65k anywhere in America except California where logic is in short supply. Sorry CA friends.

It's a really nice build but no getting around the fact that it's over 20 years old.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

@bemerritt you are being far too generous I suspect. Having researched this heavily recently as power systems are my biggest need in a van, 400 AH lithium would run you about 3 - 4k for the batteries. The rest of the system is the same either way (perhaps the other 6k you mentioned) but the premium for lithium is only that 3 - 4k compared to standard AGM lead acid or gel batteries.
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #7

This van is $40k. Leaves $60k to build a pretty nice interior. Not a 7.3 but not everyone wants a diesel.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...822832769.html
Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
This van is $40k. Leaves $60k to build a pretty nice interior. Not a 7.3 but not everyone wants a diesel.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...822832769.html
That's sweet. Kinda curious why they put those mall crawler tires on it. Perhaps they were already mounted to the wheels, as in they found them used somewhere?

Love the color!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

I looked at a v10 quigley that seller was selling. I talked to him for a while. He was kind of dreaming when he built it so when it was done he was in it way more than he thought and his wife kind of killed his dream. My guess on the mall tires is a lack of funds and a realization that you’re going to sell it.

All the work was done at ccv except the paint. Seems really nice though.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I looked at a v10 quigley that seller was selling. I talked to him for a while. He was kind of dreaming when he built it so when it was done he was in it way more than he thought and his wife kind of killed his dream. My guess on the mall tires is a lack of funds and a realization that you’re going to sell it.

All the work was done at ccv except the paint. Seems really nice though.
Yeah that Grey van is mine. I thought the van came out nicely and it's running great. However, my wife has convinced me that if we are gonna take something out in the middle of nowhere with 2 toddlers (we are not that mechanically inclined), we should probably get something newer. I'm really liking the transits...was gonna go sprinter, but sprinter fever is real and is $$$$$.

Excuse the tires, when the 4x4 conversion was done, I needed a set of 8x170, so picked up a set of used wheels and tires.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote