Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Just thinking that when my oil temp hits 230 the clutch fan engages and it certainly makes a noticeable difference in power until it disengages. The other factor to consider is what gear you were in.

If it was in drive and top gear it would feel like no power. There scenarios where the trans does not downshift and it feels like the 7.3 is lugging.

Program EOT into the scan gauge, if not already in there.

Yes, I’m familiar with the fan engaging....it wasn’t at this time and didn’t engage must know the trip because the temps were cool.
I down shifted and was in 2nd during this episode.
EOT is programmed in there. When I drive back I’m gonna video all of this to share.
Thanks

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #12

Losing that much power intermittently makes me think a likely electrical problem, specifically the injection control connector where it enters the valve cover. Especially since you replaced half your injectors previously. This will intermittently cut fuel to half you engine. Lots of information if you search the web for "Powerstroke 25-cent fix". There is stored code associated with this however, but it might not trigger the check-engine light if it didn't happen long enough. It will be stored in the "pending code" bank for a short time however.

I would not suspect fuel filter in this case, due to it being so severe, then fixed itself. A failing fuel pump can cause similar symptoms however, as returning hot-fuel can cause the fuel pump to run hot enough to lose power.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
... Lots of information if you search the web for "Powerstroke 25-cent fix". ...
Yeah, that "fixes" the connector on the under valve cover harness connector. For the harness replacement example below, I can't swear that it is compatible with van-based 7.3's but I would suspect so.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/under...harness-99-03/

Herb
Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #14

If I"m understanding the problem correctly. The van runs crappy only at elevation. If the van runs fine at sea level the problem (you would think) is fuel & air related. A injector wiring harness issue would be the same at sea level or elevation.

Mr OP why did you replace 1/2 the injectors? with 142K unless there was some bad air or fuel filtration you should be good for at least 170K. What prompted you to swap out 1/2 the injectors?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #15

If it ran like crap over Vail Pass did it do the same thing over the next pass? Because that one is even higher. Was the van warmed up before getting on i-70 in Vail?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
If I"m understanding the problem correctly. The van runs crappy only at elevation. If the van runs fine at sea level the problem (you would think) is fuel & air related. A injector wiring harness issue would be the same at sea level or elevation.

Mr OP why did you replace 1/2 the injectors? with 142K unless there was some bad air or fuel filtration you should be good for at least 170K. What prompted you to swap out 1/2 the injectors?

I had one injector go bad.... replaced the bank while in there
Old 04-28-2020, 10:46 PM   #17

2001 E350 7.3 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
If it ran like crap over Vail Pass did it do the same thing over the next pass? Because that one is even higher. Was the van warmed up before getting on i-70 in Vail?

It was for about 20 min worth of driving in that area... possibly both I can’t recall if they were that close together.
I was driving for an hour before we reached this summit.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Losing that much power intermittently makes me think a likely electrical problem, specifically the injection control connector where it enters the valve cover. Especially since you replaced half your injectors previously. This will intermittently cut fuel to half you engine. Lots of information if you search the web for "Powerstroke 25-cent fix". There is stored code associated with this however, but it might not trigger the check-engine light if it didn't happen long enough. It will be stored in the "pending code" bank for a short time however.

I would not suspect fuel filter in this case, due to it being so severe, then fixed itself. A failing fuel pump can cause similar symptoms however, as returning hot-fuel can cause the fuel pump to run hot enough to lose power.

Not intermittently... just at that one spot... for about 20 minutes while driving... I swear I couldn’t get above 20 mph.
No codes were stored. Fuel filter and fuel pump have been replaced in the last 8 months.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
A injector wiring harness issue would be the same at sea level or elevation.
It can also present issues when under-hood temps are high.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #20

Garage
Any idea of what gear you were in, did it seem to downshift when you needed it to? When my 7.3l had about 200k miles I would have issues climbing and it would totally bog down and have issues going into a lower gear. Turns out the torque converter was going out on my trans, still drove fine for 5-10k miles but anytime I had steep overpasses it was a pain and eventually got unbearable. At first though it was just intermittent and not always an issue till many thousands of miles later.
My trans was still solid but I ended up just replacing both as I planned on keeping my van forever. Now that I think of it I do believe my overdrive light by the button started flashing acting like a check engine light for the trans I found out later.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote