Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
Any idea of what gear you were in, did it seem to downshift when you needed it to? When my 7.3l had about 200k miles I would have issues climbing and it would totally bog down and have issues going into a lower gear. Turns out the torque converter was going out on my trans, still drove fine for 5-10k miles but anytime I had steep overpasses it was a pain and eventually got unbearable. At first though it was just intermittent and not always an issue till many thousands of miles later.
My trans was still solid but I ended up just replacing both as I planned on keeping my van forever. Now that I think of it I do believe my overdrive light by the button started flashing acting like a check engine light for the trans I found out later.

I down shifted to 2nd at the speed I was going. And was already in that gear when I did that. I was thinking maybe I was in the wrong gear or something along those lines as well..
Torque converter may be an issue... but during any other normal driving I have plenty of power and torque.

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #22

Maybe you just got a some bad fuel, or the 7.3 passed a stone and now it's all good again.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Maybe you just got a some bad fuel, or the 7.3 passed a stone and now it's all good again.

Thanks.. that was a thought as well. Just the timing of it all.
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #24

Actually a good point on the trans...

Once it hits about 250F in the pan (probably more like 300F in the valve body), the PCM will cut power. And when trans fluid gets too hot, especially if its old, the torque converter will lose efficiency. Unfortunately the lockup strategy for the 4R100 behind the 7.3L, was programmed to deliver more power, rather than keep the temps low. So it was probably unlocked for much of that climb.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #25

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-tank.html

Also post up your question here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote