Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #1

2001 E350 7.3 issue

Looking for ideas/guidance for an issue I had a couple days ago.
Tired of social distancing, we took a road trip from San Diego to Omaha to visit with family.
While driving through the summit of Vail,Co at elevation around 10,600’.
As I reached the summit the van almost completely lost power. Exhaust temps at 1200, pedal and o the floor and pretty much zero boost from the turbo. I couldn’t get past 20mph for 5 miles until I started getting downhill. Then everything was good.
Driving the next 10 hours through Nebraska I was good. Max turbo boost is at about 12. That’s pretty much the max I usually get with this motor.
The motor is untouched and has 140k miles.
I’ve recently replaced half the injectors a few months back and fuel filters/pump a few months before that.
Question... is any of that normal for elevation? Maybe some bad fuel? Signs the turbo is going out?
No noises of air escaping or blown hoses/etc...
Any ideas?
I’m taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and having them run diagnostics to see if anything pops up. Never had any problems brine lights either.

Thanks for any input...

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	33031
Here’s the van... I know some of you know this van from Robb... thanks!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

Hi Ron,
We have a 2002 7.3 and just returned from a 10 week trip through the Rockies with plenty of time at 10,000 ft. We were down on power a bit but always able to get full boost. So definitely not normal. And no boost is indicative of something not right for those 5 or so miles. 12 pounds of boost is about max for a stock 7.3 motor with no tuner as is 1200 F for EGT.

Possible you have a Exhaust Back Pressure valve that stuck or the tube that is used to sense the EBP could be clogged. Do you have any codes on the ScanGauge? (above the rear view mirror in your van if it is in the same place Robb had it) . That might give you an idea of anything that threw a DTC.

What happened to necessitate replacing a bank of injectors? Did they do the Glow plugs and under valve cover harness while in there?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #4

Your 7.3 should have wheelied over Vail pass. Sounds like maybe your map sensor or your oxygen sensor is faulty. The fact that is runs fine at lower elevations eliminates your injectors. Was your air filter serviced recently? It takes a lot of air to run a 7.3 at high elevation.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #5

2001 E350 7.3 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Hi Ron,
We have a 2002 7.3 and just returned from a 10 week trip through the Rockies with plenty of time at 10,000 ft. We were down on power a bit but always able to get full boost. So definitely not normal. And no boost is indicative of something not right for those 5 or so miles. 12 pounds of boost is about max for a stock 7.3 motor with no tuner as is 1200 F for EGT.

Possible you have a Exhaust Back Pressure valve that stuck or the tube that is used to sense the EBP could be clogged. Do you have any codes on the ScanGauge? (above the rear view mirror in your van if it is in the same place Robb had it) . That might give you an idea of anything that threw a DTC.

What happened to necessitate replacing a bank of injectors? Did they do the Glow plugs and under valve cover harness while in there?

Haha... it’s funny you point out where my scan gauge is...lol.
I didn’t think to go through the scan gauge at the time. I was literally just bewildered at the fact I was doing 25...
I had one bad injector and just had them replace the bank... didn’t do glow plugs because the advisor didn’t recommend.
Those are great points and I’ll bring them up with the tech tomorrow in Lincoln,Ne.
Thanks for the advice
Old 04-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Your 7.3 should have wheelied over Vail pass. Sounds like maybe your map sensor or your oxygen sensor is faulty. The fact that is runs fine at lower elevations eliminates your injectors. Was your air filter serviced recently? It takes a lot of air to run a 7.3 at high elevation.

All really good points I’ll pass along to the tech tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #7

Up pipes leaking?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2001 E350 7.3 issue

I’ll throw in for the fuel filter.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

Couldn’t replicate altitude. Otherwise everything else checked out normal during diagnostics.
I had replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago so I didn’t think I should replace again.
Maybe I should have pulled over and turned off the van and restarted it? Maybe a reset would have had a different outcome.
I advised and asked the tech to discuss all the recommendations above. The mechanic said he checked everything out and didn’t find any issues in those areas....aside from just replacing stuff without a reason.
That’s the update..
I’ll know more on my return trip next week. Have to see if it does it again. I’ll take video at that point.
Thanks guys.....
Old 04-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #10

Just thinking that when my oil temp hits 230 the clutch fan engages and it certainly makes a noticeable difference in power until it disengages. The other factor to consider is what gear you were in.

If it was in drive and top gear it would feel like no power. There scenarios where the trans does not downshift and it feels like the 7.3 is lugging.

Program EOT into the scan gauge, if not already in there.