Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

New Cps didn't help. I hooked up my scanguage and programed it to read ICP. When trying to start it reads 100-300. Seems very low unless its that way when starting. Whats the best way to get to the ICP sensor in a van? Strange to just have it go from ok to crapped out the next morning. Im wondering what to do next?

CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

I unplugged the ICP and the same thing is happening. Plugged in it gets 200ish.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVo View Post
Strange to just have it go from ok to crapped out the next morning.
Not helpfull, but you know what the farmer said when his cow died?
Damn, she never did that before..............sorry, wish I could help
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

As I mentioned before, there's a bunch of tests that you can do, here's one list:

9 Common Problems With 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel Engines, And How You Can Fix Them | Diesel IQ

There's a handful of issues that if they come up, it won't even try to send fuel to the injectors, so no go.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Does the factory manual have troubleshooting matrix's for the 7.3? If so, it would be a cheap investment. I got my manuals used off Amazon for under $100. At least for the gas motors the troubleshooting section guides you through a step by step procedure to check each componant, gives all the pressures, voltage, resistance, and current readings for each step of the process. If possible, I always prefer to trouble shoot this way, but obvously it's not always possible. In reading Robb's link, a common problem seems to be loose connectors and shorted or broken wires, both of which can be checked pretty much anywhere. Sorry I can't help more, but I have limited knowledge of the 7.3. If I had one, a factory manual would be my first purchace.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-17-2016, 03:43 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Does the factory manual have troubleshooting matrix's for the 7.3? If I had one, a factory manual would be my first purchace.
Factory manuals for most Ford engines in CD-ROM or DVD format can be found on eBay too----full dealership cast offs that were/are used by them These will be "expired" but simply resetting the reading computer's internal clock allows them to be used infinitely.

Those who carry laptop computers could keep one nearby or inside the van for situations like the OP is experiencing.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #17

I have all the diagnostic manuals as of yesterday so I suppose its time to start digging. Next up is the IPR but man that thing is a pain to get at. I just need to decide if Im willing to pull the turbo on my own or bring it to a shop. Thanks for all the help so far everyone. The damn thing only has 90k miles on it so you think I would be able to get it running smooth again.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

It's definitely awkward getting in there, but doable.. Check some of the minor things (sensor, wiring, etc) and see if you find a solution.. then you can give up and take it to a shop (at least that's how I'd do it!).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVo View Post
I have all the diagnostic manuals as of yesterday
The troubleshooting procedures in the manual should guide you to the exact problem, but sometimes require special tools or adapters, such as a fuel pressure gauge, or ohm meter. Often times tools can be borrowed from an auto parts store if you don't want to buy them. Look at this as a great learning experience and a chance to become familuar with your engine. My manuals and tools are stored in the van at all times so I can trouble shoot on the road. Best of luck and be sure to let us know how it's going.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

Garage
Pulling the turbo isn't really that bad... It's actually one of the easier jobs to do on our vans since it's easily accessible through the doghouse.

In my opinion, you might as well give it a shot yourself (if you have the time)... it'll give you some level of comfort as to how to do it out on the road if something ever goes wrong. I know I was a little overwhelmed when I initially decided to rebuild my fuel bowl, but the deeper I dug into the engine bay, the more confident I felt about the process if I ever have issues when I'm way out back in the bush.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote