Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

2002 7.3l 4r100 transmission - 9 check balls wtf?

I'm in the process of overhauling a used 4r100 for my 4wd conversion. The ATSG manual says I should have 8 check balls under the the valve body gasket. I have found 9 check balls as shown below.

The extra ball is the furthest to the right in the pictures below. I think the ball of interest should not be there as I do not see any way it could seat itself in either the transmission case hydraulic channels or on the metal valve body gasket. The opening between the bottom channel into the little triangular channel is too wide for the ball to completely block flow.

Not sure what to do here. All the research I've seen only accounts for 8 check balls.

Anyone have any input on this?

jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

I don't the EPC ball in your pic. Could the spring pushed it out and it landed where you have an extra ball?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't the EPC ball in your pic. Could the spring pushed it out and it landed where you have an extra ball?
The epc ball is ejected as soon as you take the metal support plate off. It is much smaller and metal. To be clear I have 9 5/16 plastic balls
Old 07-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

I would PM MGMetalworks...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

I have absolutely no input but I'm keenly interested in this project ....please post some pics along the way and let us know how it turns out.

I've been wondering what's so magic about rebuilding an auto trans....my trans is fine BTW...just wondering

Seems like replacing clutch packs, valves, solenoids, gaskets, etc and taking the casting to an acid bath place would be straightforward for those of us silly enough to venture into a project like this...and likely less $$ than a rebuilt..although I have no idea really...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I have absolutely no input but I'm keenly interested in this project ....please post some pics along the way and let us know how it turns out.

I've been wondering what's so magic about rebuilding an auto trans....my trans is fine BTW...just wondering

Seems like replacing clutch packs, valves, solenoids, gaskets, etc and taking the casting to an acid bath place would be straightforward for those of us silly enough to venture into a project like this...and likely less $$ than a rebuilt..although I have no idea really...

I did the math and if you replace all the parts the rebuilders claim to replace it's not that much more to just have them do it. In my case, I'm curious about what's inside one of these things. I also like 80 miles from any sort of rebuilder.

Like you said, from all the research I've done there isn't really anything magic inside the case. This trans is an extra one I've purchased so my vehicle isn't down while I take my time on the rebuild. If you're in a hurry I can absolutely see taking it in. If you have time and are curious and can afford to **** it up, you might as well see what's going on in there.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #7

Just a little follow up on this in case anyone else has the same issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18100891
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Thank you for sharing.

Each time I stare at one of those fluid mazes, I think to myself that computers were readily available in the 90s, but then I remember that that part of the transmission generally doesn't fail. So at the time it probably was the right call to hold onto what seems like such an anachronism, in a world that now includes things like smart lightbulbs.

I briefly considered going down this particular rabbit hole, but was overwhelmed by the choices I'd need to make for which parts to use. Particularly the combinations of what works with what and what hurts what. This convinced me to just outsource that to someone with a good reputation.

Good luck with your build!!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote