Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #11

Re: 2005 6.0 diesel ODB-2? Found a code reader for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ
What else can cause a turbo to be short lived besides the short trips and extended idling?
Tracey
Either rust from a leaky EGR cooler, or carbon buildup from a faulty EGR valve. Sometimes however the turbo vane positioning solenoid can go bad too, but that wouldn't normally be suspect unless you pull the turbo and can't visibly see why its sticking.

Good to know, thank you. My coolant levels have remained steady, Ive known about leaky EGR issues so Ive been just keeping an eye on the coolant levels and all is well from what I see. I have seen a plugged EGR valve before, can't mistake that sight. lol I suspect my mechanic will get to the bottom of it.
Thanks again, I will update with what we find.
Tracey

Old 12-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #12

Sorry about the rotation of the photos, seriously I was happy I just got them to post! Why is this tech stuff so odd to me.....enough about that. lol

So I decided to jump into the deep end and just get it over with. I had a couple codes that prompted me to get my van checked out. Could have just fixed those but now Im glad I took it further, lot of little stuff that would have left me dead on the side of the road. Leaks everywhere and stuff on the verge of failing.

Things that I know is getting done. EGR delete, head studs, new unison ring for the turbo, bead plate leak fixed, new oil cooler, everything re-sealed, some sort of new high pressure oil manifold thing that was leaking, new glow plugs, and I will be having a tuner installed.
Im sure Im forgetting stuff. Should be getting it all wrapped up before to long. Please feel free to chime in on stuff that I may have forgot, the way I see it if the engine needs to come out fix it now while its easy to get to. lol
Hopefully with a bit of luck and skills of the mechanic I should be in good shape. The facility doing this has done about half dozen or so of SMBs from all over the west and southwest and countless trucks with the 6.0.
Tracey
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0931.jpg   IMG_0933.jpg  
Old 12-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ View Post
Sorry about the rotation of the photos, seriously I was happy I just got them to post! Why is this tech stuff so odd to me.....enough about that. lol

So I decided to jump into the deep end and just get it over with. I had a couple codes that prompted me to get my van checked out. Could have just fixed those but now Im glad I took it further, lot of little stuff that would have left me dead on the side of the road. Leaks everywhere and stuff on the verge of failing.

Things that I know is getting done. EGR delete, head studs, new unison ring for the turbo, bead plate leak fixed, new oil cooler, everything re-sealed, some sort of new high pressure oil manifold thing that was leaking, new glow plugs, and I will be having a tuner installed.
Im sure Im forgetting stuff. Should be getting it all wrapped up before to long. Please feel free to chime in on stuff that I may have forgot, the way I see it if the engine needs to come out fix it now while its easy to get to. lol
Hopefully with a bit of luck and skills of the mechanic I should be in good shape. The facility doing this has done about half dozen or so of SMBs from all over the west and southwest and countless trucks with the 6.0.
Tracey
Is the high pressure oil manifold thing a IPR valve or oil pump

Replace the oil return line from the turbo
Install a blue spring upgrade on the fuel
Use a cetane booster each fuel up since you do not drive the van much. This will aid in keeping the turbo vanes open....if you don't add the booster then drive that 6.0 like you stole it. Driving it like grandma is more hurtful than helpful on a 6.0

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Is the high pressure oil manifold thing a IPR valve or oil pump

Replace the oil return line from the turbo
Install a blue spring upgrade on the fuel
Use a cetane booster each fuel up since you do not drive the van much. This will aid in keeping the turbo vanes open....if you don't add the booster then drive that 6.0 like you stole it. Driving it like grandma is more hurtful than helpful on a 6.0

Not sure what they called the oil manifold thing, it is just as it sounds, one big line coming in and others leaving it. It was the big line that has a machined two piece coupler that was very loose and about to come apart for the reason of changing it out to a new one. I was already dropping in oil pressure according to the tech and once it gets to a certain point or breaks the van will refuse to start do to lack of oil pressure.
Getting the blue spring, I always use cetane and would like to drive it like it was stolen, but in all honesty the van has been lacking in power for some time now. Almost spooky lack of power or throttle response, it would take some time for it to wind up and get going.
Is the oil return line from the turbo a high or low pressure line? I will check on it with the techs
I do appreciate the input, thank you.
Tracey
Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

Lots of nice work happening on your van. I have an 05 vintage 6.0 as well. I would have loved to have my motor out on a stand at times. When people ask what it's like to work on a 6.0 in a van I say it's just like your truck but in a bottle.

I think the two piece coupler your describing is called the snap-to-connect fitting just after the high pressure oil pump. It's a very common failure. Other common improvements in the high pressure oil side of the injector system is the dummy plugs and the stand pipes. Like the STC fitting there are improved replacement parts available. Lot's of video's on YouTube about these parts.

Here is a video of this being done while still in a van.

Also the Turbo oil pipes have improved parts available also. The drain pipe under the turbo is more free flowing. The feed line above the turbo if you still have the one with the braided section in the middle is now a solid hard pipe.

I look forward to hearing your back on the road.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #16

I would consider a coolant filter as well. They are relatively inexpensive and a step to take particularly to help insure your new oil cooler stays unplugged.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #17

When we did the 6.0 I drive now we did not replace the STC fitting and within 2k it showed it ugly head. Only produced 125psi of oil. Injectors need 500 to fire so n=on the side of the road we sat......learned that mistake.....on of the hundred for the 6.0 haha
Take good care of it and it will treat you just fine. This one is my 5th 6.0 with 175k on it and over 1mil miles combined on the 5.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #18

Got my van back on new years eve day! WOW what a difference! It is amazing how much power and throttle response i have now! Starts right up and sounds amazing! With little to no time and what seemed liked no effort the speedo was reading well north of 75mph. I don't want to say how fast for fear of self incrimination, but it does wind up very quickly. Im going to drive it for a week and then it will go back for a final inspection. I will be getting a complete list of everything done and try to post that and further commentary on all of it. So far so good!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #19

Tracey, can you give me the name of the shop?? PM if need be.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #20

Good news!

Since you've now got the engine bullet-proofed an upgrade for the tranny is the 08 pan from the 6.4 with an internal filter.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote