Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2022, 11:51 PM   #1

2006 6.0 diesel coolant disappearing

As the title says my E-350 SMB is losing coolant at about 1qt/3hr driving with no visible leaks or puddles underneath.

I'm thinking head gasket and hoping someone here can steer me away from that with some other possibilities. I'm on the Big Island in Hawaii, don't have a trusted mechanic and I know the E-350 6.0 is an expensive bear to work on.

Help!! Any suggestions appreciated.

wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #2

Small losses like that are often the EGR cooler. I’ve had this happen enough times at work, I can smell it before I even see the coolant level dropping. To me, it makes the exhaust (when hot) smell faintly like rotting cotton candy. It’s hard to explain, but it doesn’t smell like regular exhaust when it starts happening.

Usually the EGR cooler cracks because it isn’t getting enough coolant flow because the Engine Oil Cooler is plugged. . When you’re driving, do you see much difference between the Engine Oil Temp and Engine Coolant Temp?
Old 07-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #3

Try to eliminate cracks in the reservoir as the cause of your coolant loss. The cracks are difficult to see but if you put fluoresceine in the coolant and drive for 15 to 20 minutes, you will be able to see the coolant on the top of the fender or streaming or pooling on the parts below and driveway with the UV light. If the loss is not from the resevoir, use the UV light to look at other surfaces in and around the engine and trans. You may be looking at problems similar to the one carringb posted above. NAPA carries a cheap dye and UV light kit. Before leaving the store make sure the light works.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Have you inspected your engine oil?

The coolant is either leaking out (doesn't seem to be the case if you aren't seeing any drips), burning in the fuel system (sweet exhaust smell like CarringB mentioned), or going into your oil.

Herb
Old 08-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #5

In my case a head gasket leak pressurized the expansion tank causing it to puke out coolant which is very visible as it deposits on the outside of tank. Taping a nitrile glove to the reservoir gave me an immediate 5 finger salute showing the pressurization.
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
...Taping a nitrile glove to the reservoir gave me an immediate 5 finger salute showing the pressurization.
Sounds more like a middle finger salute.

Herb
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Sounds more like a middle finger salute.

Herb
Heh Heh Heh
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant