Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

Reach those folks here: (800) 392-7946 or www.fordparts.com (I'm exploring that site as I write this---fascinating so far.) The staff there while a bit short on time will explain their products and should have a list of parts included in a reman'd engine purchase. Have your list ready and they'll probably give you a yes or no answer. If you go that route there's no need to push the dealer on what they're selling and installing.

That's a good point, I'm tired of having the same conversations with these dealer service centers and a lot of these dealerships don't even know what's included with the reman engine or not. Interesting, I just spoke with one shop and he said, "it's hit or miss if the reman engine comes with an oil cooler or not, sometimes you open the box and it's there, other times it's not ..." Awesome! Go Ford Quality Control!

Quote:
As I've said my 5.4 arrived already filled with oil, a new oil cooler, exhaust studs and nuts, intake & exhaust gaskets, spark plugs installed and a water pump---all ready to drop in, fire it up and hit the roads. I would get clarification about the intake situation---as CarringB points out the metal versions might be cleaned and that deemed acceptable to maintain the warranty.
From the few dealers (including Jasper's warranty department) whom I've spoken to about and actually have experience with swapping these engines - all of them are on the same page that you absolutely need to get a new air intake manifold with the engine. Even if you clean the original manifold, you don't know if you got every little particle and if any debris get sucked into the engine you're screwed, and warranty is also void. This is no question in my mind, I'm getting a brand new intake manifold on this thing.

Quote:

That brings me to another point that reman'd engines today don't require any sort of break in procedures or time periods. They've engineered the American public's lack of knowledge out of their products---they arrive already "broken in".
Good to know - I was wondering about the break in process, Jasper said to make sure to change the oil after 500 miles. I was tentatively planning on a hard break in where I get the engine up to 3000+ RPM during the first drive and make sure it gets all the way to operating temperature (so good couple hour drive) and avoid any short trips as well as minimizing idling for the first couple hundred miles. Hmmm, basically if I drive down to Seneca West Virginia and back, probably a good first drive and would be about 500 miles. Lots of steep hills on that route as well.

Quote:
PLUS if the dealer installs the engine they're fully responsible as well as honoring any warranty issues that might arise. The dealer will NOT return to you any parts removed/replaced as those are part of the no-blame core process.

I would suggest demanding and keeping every receipt or invoice you pay in a hard copy, digitally if available too. When you speak to someone make notes of day, time person contacted and result---these sorts of timelines establish some degree of credibility on your part.

I'm sure I'm forgetting but you have my phone number so don't hesitate calling me if I can answer any other questions. So far it sounds like you've got this mostly under control!
Yup - thanks again for the advice, I'm trying to be vigilant here.

Oh and in terms of the saga that is finding a mechanic in Pittsburgh ... the ford dealership that I wanted to work with just told me they don't work on anything older than 10 years. Back to the drawing board. They could have mentioned that two weeks ago when I first called them, but at the least they did refer me to another shop that sounds like an experienced shop for this job.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #52

Alright - towed the van to the shop for the engine swap this afternoon. Should be done by next Friday ... fingers crossed
Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #53

Yeah ... next Friday, actually the mechanic should have said the Friday after next Friday because if Tom Hanks taught us anything in the movie Money Pit, it was that everything always takes "two weeks". In this case it was two months ... of not having a vehicle, that and $13,600 later ... I have a new engine and the van is running again. (that's including what I had to pay the other mechanic for disassembling the valve train when we both thought the issue was a lifter or rocker)

FML

If this wasn't a 4x4 and I hadn't already put time and money into the build out already, it would have been a no brainier to just junk the van and get another one, but I was already too invested after 1.5 years of building it out and even still you can't find a decent 4x4 van for under $25 to $30k as a starting point.

Well, my mission now is to put as many miles on it as possible while I still have the warranty, if a problem is going to crop up it should in the first 10k hopefully.

I'm going to change the oil this weekend after putting about 500 miles on it.

Hopefully it's smooth sailing form here right? I'll post up a detailed list of everything that was installed when I have more time.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
One other possible source of noise is the heat shield on the catalytic converter. The weld on one end of mine was broken and it rattled like crazy sometimes under load, especially before getting warmed up. I put a stainless hose clamp around it and it hasn't made a sound since.

Mine does that! But it's more of a metallic buzzing noise than the rhythmic clicking Mr.Anderson has.

-- Geoff
Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #55

List of Parts replaced

Just to update this thread with the final list of parts replaced during the engine swap:

• V10 6.8 ford remanned engine
  • oil cooler
  • exhaust manifolds (both sides w/ new studs, nuts, and gaskets)
  • upper air intake manifold (w/ new gasket)
  • lower air intake manifold (w/ new gasket)
  • belt
  • radiator hoses (upper and lower)
  • Heater hoses
  • PCV valve
  • coil on plug ignition packs
  • spark plugs (included w/ remanned engine)
  • radiator water pump
  • antifreeze
  • power steering fluid
  • oil & filter
  • air filter
So far no problems with the ride. Now I can get back to finishing the build it ... which I have to do soon because I just put my house on the market and will be moving into the van full time as soon as it sells