Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Got some CRC and a new filter, and will clean the MAF tomorrow and check out the intake and take a peak at the throttle body and check the hoses.

Just weird and I can tell something is off. Drove it last night and it still has guts, it just does weird stuff when you let on and off the pedal, mostly like a lag. The surges have subsided a bit, but if it's idling and I give it a little throttle in park and let off it's like it wants to stall, but then recovers.

I'll give the MAF a shower and report back!

Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

Garage
Mine just had the same issue....turned out to be the infamous PCV elbow vacuum leak just beneath the throttle body.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042ORVDY...I2TJBZAIY7UKN6

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #13

Thanks for chiming in. That's all I am hoping is that throwing a couple parts at is will fix the issue. Start with the obvious and easy to get to!!

Another thing that makes me think it could be a vacuum hose is an audible hiss when it shifts from first to second. Pssssssssssst!

In my pre-van life, I would have just taken it to a mechanic. Time for me to learn a thing or two.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Flux;198616 Another thing that makes me think it could be a vacuum hose is an audible hiss when it shifts from first to second. Pssssssssssst!.[/QUOTE]

That's a sure sign of a vaccum leak, easy fix.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #15

took a look around with the doghouse off and didn't see anything obvious. ran it for a minute and again, nothing obvious. From the front I can see a little corrosion on one of the metal lines heading into the throttle. Warrants further investigation.

Pulled the intake and MAF and cleaned it with CRC. One thing I saw it the rubber plug seal behind the MAF was not in all the way. Re-installed and went for a spin. Right away I noticed the van has it's roll back. What I mean is when I let off the pedal it coasts much better. Before it seemed to just bog right out. So got a good result from that right away.

Gonna look things over more when I get a little more time and remove the intake back to the throttle and take a peek. But cleaning the MAF definitely helped!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #16

Fire it up, and spray some carb cleaner around all the hoses and fittings. When you find the leak it will be obvous as the engine will immediately change speed.

Edit, I didn't read your whole post I guess, did you solve the problem?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #17

Part of it for sure. Something definitely going on with the MAF being dirty or the wiring plug not being seated.

When I get more time I will hunt for leaks and open up the intake and check out the throttle for gunk. Definitely ran better today and is coasting correctly.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #18

Well the issue is still there. In park at idle if I rev it just a bit and let off the engine RPM's drop and the motor goes very quiet like it's gonna stall. I dare say it does it a bit while driving too. I am gonna take off the intake down to the throttle body this weekend and look around some more for a leak. Might have to just take it to Ford.

A bit frustrated with the build right now. Got a vibration at 70ish+ which could be the new tires but may be the driveshaft. Ugh.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Well the issue is still there. In park at idle if I rev it just a bit and let off the engine RPM's drop and the motor goes very quiet like it's gonna stall. I dare say it does it a bit while driving too. I am gonna take off the intake down to the throttle body this weekend and look around some more for a leak. Might have to just take it to Ford.

A bit frustrated with the build right now. Got a vibration at 70ish+ which could be the new tires but may be the driveshaft. Ugh.
Flux,

Don't overlook the PCV elbow beneath the throttle body....they fail frequently and are hard to diagnose in the early stages.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Flux,

Don't overlook the PCV elbow beneath the throttle body....they fail frequently and are hard to diagnose in the early stages.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I really need to take off the intake and check the throttle and that elbow and anything else I can see. I appreciate it and it's on my mind for sure.

If I give it a rev in park it seems like it's gonna stall and then catches itself a bit. If cold it will rev up again. Definitely can feel it when driving if I let off quick.