Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I would describe the o2 sensors as calibration devices, rather than control devices. They are relatively slow responding, which is why an upstream problem with fuel or air will cause surging while the o2 sensors respond.

The primary control is the MAF. There's various way to troubleshoot, and the Ford method has to monitor the 02 signals are varying RPMs. If the lambda value varies at low RPMs, but not at higher rpms, than there's a vacuum leak introducing a little extra air. If it varies at all RPMs, there's probably an intake leak downstream of the MAF. If it only leans out at high RPM, then fuel pressure become suspect.

I'm gonna read that a couple times and see if my scan tool can pick up these Lambda values.

BUT I did do the JSweezy method and I think it's running much better.

Pulled the intake off and cleaned out and cleaned up the throttle. Cleaned the intake and cleaned the PCV intake tube. Spent a good amount of time tracing some of the vacuum hoses so I have a mental picture of some stuff I still need to check. Cleaned the MAF again, why not?? Cleaned all the intake rubber fittings etc. Repaced them very carefully and snugged them nicely. Repaced the PCV valve and tube with new ones. Old ones were probably fine, so that might be the parts I threw at it. I am cool with 40 bucks.

Restarted the van and and did the idle rev, it dipped to 400 as usual and felt like the motor would stall because it goes quiet. It will catch itself and then go back up to 600.

So then I pulled the neg cable and turned on the lights and ate some dinner. This should have reset the KAM. Which it seems to have done. Made sure everything was off and then put the neg cable back on. Turned the key and watched the CEL light until it blinked and then went back to lit. With everything off I started the engine and watched it idle. It went to about 1200 and then slowly made it's way down to 700 and then 600. Let it sit there for 5 minutes then turned on the AC and sat for a couple more. Turned off the AC and went for a 15 mile cruise around town and on the highway. Kept it mellow for the first 10 but did push it to 75 on the freeway.

So the immediate differences were that the van coasted a little better. The RPMS still dive but not like before. When coming to a stop or slowing around a corner the van would feel like it would go dead for a second, but now i just see a very quick dip to 400 and recovery back up to 600. Feels much better on that end. I tried the idle rev trick again and it won't let itself drop below 600, so that issue went away. All in all behaving much better.

I am still wary that there could be a rogue tune in there from the previous owners. When I get a tuner, I will first get the van reflashed so I have a base stock tune. Still some things to check over for vac leaks, but I think I have moved things forward for sure. I would like to check my scan gauge again and check those fuel level trims when I do the idle rev. also will look around in it to see if I can find the 02 sensor operation in the scanner.

As always I am very grateful to everyone here for helping me out and teaching me a thing or two. Not sure I would even have a Van at all if I hadn't stumbled on this place and caught the fever. The big investment is not so intimidating with all the folks here having my back when I grab a wrench and try to make some things right.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #52

Just so you know with a 5 star tune you are able to revert to stock at any time. Your stock tune is saved in the device with the other tunes.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Just so you know with a 5 star tune you are able to revert to stock at any time. Your stock tune is saved in the device with the other tunes.

But if your "stock tune" is actually a aftermarket tune that's on your PCM, you would never know that it wasn't a stock Ford PCM strategy that you were adding the 5 Star tune to.

Herb
Old 04-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #54

Van seems to be running even better again. No RPM drop down to 400 when coming to stop and it is coasting really nicely. So I guess a careful reboot was totally in order!

Ran into another van owner and chatted for a bit and he suggested I call 5 star and see if they can put a factory flash on there as well. Might be doing that sooner rather than later.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #55

Garage
Glad every thing seems to be working better. My method is actually a combination of a Carringb and MG method ha ha.

Just go to ford and have them flash your pcm and it will set it back to the stock tune. But I would find a cool dealer so they don't try to make you pay for it.

Edit - typing on my phone is hard sometimes.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #56

We are all lucky to have these folks to help us out. I have had my fair share of setbacks and surprises with this build. I'm really looking forward to moving ahead with the interior and electrical now. Seemed like every time I turn around it's something else messing with me. This idle thing really bothered me so I am very grateful for all the help. I might have actually been the cause of this some time ago as I had the battery off when welding and didn't do a drive cycle with it. Either way it's running well and I have some more insight.

Next I gotta track down this vibration that comes in at 70-75mph. Road force then check the drive shaft if that doesn't do it. Very bothersome and I feel it in the van body, not the wheel. Just another thing I gotta deal with....

But tomorrow I get my battery mount and bench seat backer plates from powdercoat. It's a good feeling!! My kids haven't ridden in their van yet....
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #57

Garage
Still going good?

For whatever reason my issue is back. Drove fine for 10+ hours through the mountains but won't idle once the rpms hit 600 and will drop down and come back up until it finally dies.

The joys of van ownership, there's always something.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #58

Garage
Btw there is a fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail of your van that you attach the fuel pressure test kit onto.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #59

My throttle body cleanup and KAM reset helped a bit, but I still feel the issue here and there, like when I let off and brake and then go to accelerate I can see the RPM's go below 500 and then catch itself and then act right. Pisser is it drops a gear when it does that.

I took it in to Ford this morning to have them run it through their machine. I also want to make sure I don't have a tune on there right now either as I plan on getting a tuner and if anyone is gonna tune my van it's me.....or something.

I suspect it's something simple like a vacuum leak I can't find or a bad O2 sensor. But rather than me throwing parts at it I decided to let the guys with the big computer take a look.

But I will keep you posted.

And I did not find that pressure valve.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #60

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote