Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #11

JWA recommended there for putting a drain plug into your tranny pan.

Unique Truck Equipment Receipt

70200 Quick Changer Drain Hose Assembly - Small 9"

https://www.uniquetruck.com/product/...sembly-small-9

71314 Quick Changer Oil Drain Plug - 14mm - 1.5

https://www.uniquetruck.com/section/...g+-+14mm+-+1.5

posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
JWA recommended there for putting a drain plug into your tranny pan.

Unique Truck Equipment Receipt

70200 Quick Changer Drain Hose Assembly - Small 9"

https://www.uniquetruck.com/product/...sembly-small-9

71314 Quick Changer Oil Drain Plug - 14mm - 1.5

https://www.uniquetruck.com/section/...g+-+14mm+-+1.5
I consider those to be nearly perfect for oil and transmission pan draining without spillage, perhaps more so the transmission due how problematic that can be to remove while still containing fluid. The 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch matches Ford's oil pan plugs. If you DIY your own oil changes in a driveway you'll appreciate being able to accurately aim the flow into a catch can or bottle.

When I install one in the transmission pan a hole is drilled as shown and a nut used as a way to secure the Quick Changer to the pan. I'll use something like JB Weld to secure it all to the pan and prevent any leaks or loosening of the fitting over time. Photo:

I install mine as shown as it becomes the lowest point of the pan when I'm doing the fluid flush in my sloped driveway. It's also a way to partially protect the fitting should ground clearance ever become a concern. Honestly it doesn't matter where its installed, anywhere in the bottom of the pan works great.

Some may find this type too costly but for what they do, that they're one time purchases AND of extremely high quality I believe they're good bargains. I believe they come with a lifetime warranty against leakage.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:13 AM   #13
JWA

I've once again performed the full fluid exchange or "flush" according to Mark K who posts mainly on FTE. This makes the third time for me and I've somewhat modified or improved my own method.

Because I can post images directly into a thread I've updated things over on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ans-flush.html

Please feel free to ask any questions directly related to the Ford 4R70-W or 4R75-E. I have no knowledge or useful advice apart from what's posted in this thread or the FTE long-running thread. If possible please keep questions to that short range of options.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #14

Thanks, JWA,
I have everything assembled save for a backing nut for the plug insert. This is a nylock, so I might be able to put it on backward while embedding in JB weld or possibly with impatience cut down the nut side without melting the nylon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #15
JWA

Quote:
Thanks, JWA,
I have everything assembled save for a backing nut for the plug insert. This is a nylock, so I might be able to put it on backward while embedding in JB weld or possibly with impatience cut down the nut side without melting the nylon
Glad to help!

I just used a standard M14-1.5 hex nut, used Loctite 271 or "red" on the threads and JB Weld around the fitting and nut on both sides of the pan. Not sure you need to go through the aggravation of finding or using a Nylok-type nut but whatever works to be leak free!
Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Glad to help!

I just used a standard M14-1.5 hex nut, used Loctite 271 or "red" on the threads and JB Weld around the fitting and nut on both sides of the pan. Not sure you need to go through the aggravation of finding or using a Nylok-type nut but whatever works to be leak free!
Long ago I grew tired of searching the local outlets for hard-to-find items so as this. I searched Amazon and this is the only part that is coming up. I have some green Loctite as well as red ( I think,....)

I don't really trust the JB weld but I bought some nevertheless.

If i can keep the nylock functional the pan will leark way before the nut falls off. So i won't have any nagging worries about a nut bouncing around in the trans pan.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #17
Site Team

U-Haul has special drain pans made with the built-in drain plugs. Tough to find these days, but there may be some floating around if you don't want to make your own. I bought one for my Crown Vic.

I think there are aftermarket Dorman pans available, but I'm not a fan of Dorman.

Herb
Old 06-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #18
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
U-Haul has special drain pans made with the built-in drain plugs. Tough to find these days, but there may be some floating around if you don't want to make your own. I bought one for my Crown Vic.

I think there are aftermarket Dorman pans available, but I'm not a fan of Dorman.

Herb
I'd read those pans were very thin and highly prone to the plug stripping out too quickly. If they were Dorman I can understand why. I never did buy one.

Quote:
Long ago I grew tired of searching the local outlets for hard-to-find items so as this. I searched Amazon and this is the only part that is coming up. I have some green Loctite as well as red ( I think,....)

I don't really trust the JB weld but I bought some nevertheless.

If i can keep the nylock functional the pan will leark way before the nut falls off. So i won't have any nagging worries about a nut bouncing around in the trans pan.
I found my parts on eBay---paid like $7 for a bag of at least 25. Loctite Red (271) is high strength locker, Green (290) is a weak formula that wicks itself into an assembled threaded whatnot.

In the appplication we're discussing the JB Weld or similar metal-compatible epoxy works just great in my experience. YMMV naturally.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #19

Rockauto has multiple manufacturers for my 4R75E.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #20
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Rockauto has multiple manufacturers for my 4R75E.
For which parts please?