Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #1

4R75E - DIY rebuild, full swap, manufacturers, ...?!

Hey guys

I have the other thread ongoing about my droning noise. Lastly I swapped my tail housing bushing again and after all I have done I'm fairly convinced my output shaft is too sloppy. So something in there is broken and the design of the transmission requires a full disassembly to replace the bushing in there.

Another thing to keep in mind: I got 275k miles on it! So once everything is open I would replace the torque converter as well either way.

Now my questions are:
1. Should I rebuild or replace?
2. If replace, who's reputable shops to buy one?

to Question 1:

I now watch some youtube video and I'm convinced I can get the transmission out and back in as a whole.
The tear down and reassembly seems to be "fairly easy", I saw Matthew D'Amato video and he reassembled a 4R70W in his ~1h video. So I might (!) be able to rebuild in 2-3 days. Surely all the parts, sizes and so on will be challenging, but it might a fun project where you don't seem to need a whole lot of special tools. It seems to me it's more about finding the right races, rings, ...

Comprehensive rebuild kit comes to around 400-500USD, like 460USD at Oregon Performance Transmission.

Now seeing at least 2 days of work... does it really make sense when I can get a rebuild from BCA for 1.500 USD?! I would imagine they are checking the different drums and all that and replace what's necessary and if I would do that as well the 400-500USD will go up significantly...

Seems to be fun project to learn a lot, but in worst case I could possibly smash my whole transmission? :-D

So: What to do? quick and dirty in and out of a rebuild or really DIY?

to Question 2:

In case I choose to buy a new one I also have 1.000 options and still don't know where to buy.
I found BCA offering a full replacement.

Who else?
What is the main difference between them?
Should I choose different plates, shafts or whatever?
What means the "Shift Firmness Option" between mild, medium, hard, ...

Would appreciate any input, experience sharing, ...

EDIT:
- 2006 EB
- fairly light, no real build out
- 2WD
- WeldTec 6" lift
- 35's

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #2

I'd do the rebuild but that's just me......

There are quite a few 4R75 rebuild vids on Youtube.....I watched a bunch of them a few months ago.....for no particular reason other than to judge the level of difficulty.

..says the guy who just did his ring/pinions after watching a bunch of youtubes for that.....

If you do it yourself I don't think it's about saving $$, because as you pointed out a few days of time will usually pay for a fresh rebuilt unit.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #3

E-350, if yours is a 4x4 there may be some considerations to making your tranny a bit more HD to handle the increased loads a 4x4 places on the trans.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
E-350, if yours is a 4x4 there may be some considerations to making your tranny a bit more HD to handle the increased loads a 4x4 places on the trans.

....Like??

Buying the HD versions of the internals and clutch packs where available?
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
....Like??

Buying the HD versions of the internals and clutch packs where available?
HD torque converter and some HD internals. I'm no expert on what those parts might be, just saying if your going to rebuild your tranny, one that was not designed from the factory to be behind a 4x4 drive train, you might research that aspect a bit
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #6

If/when the time comes for my 4R75 that's exactly what I'd do. When I watched the youtubes I also searched for rebuild kits/parts, and there is some HD stuff around.
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses.
My Rig:
- 2006 EB, 270k miles
- fairly light, no real build out
- 2WD
- WeldTec 6" lift
- 35's

I digged deeper yesterday during the day and organized a friend to keep his eyes on what I'm doing.

I eventually decided for the fun and learning and not the simple solution, also hoping for shorter "lead time" vs. ordering a replacement.

I have ordered OPT-AODE-4R70W-RBHP from Oregon Performance Transmission, added accumulator, thrust washers, torrington bearings, all snap rings and springs, piston, bushing set.

Seeing 16 years and 270k for the current transmission I'm totally fine if this kit keeps it up for another 5 years and 70-100k... by then I have to think about many more topics either way.

Torque converter not yet. I just started to prepare pulling the trans, drained oil, loosened up all screws, disconnected cables etc. Once I have it out I have to check the bolt scheme and from there I can go.

Seeing a pro (Matthew D'Amato on Youtube) can disassemble in 30min once on the table and put it back together in 60min, I'm optimistic it takes me 2 days, a lot of pictures and back forth finding the right parts for the right place.
Grease grease grease everything and we'll see :-D
Emergency/ temporary solution is pulling a trans at a junk yard.

Only question I haven't found a real answer yet:
What do I have to keep in mind when refilling oil. Just pour "nominal minus 10%" in and see what happens? do I have to prefill a torque converter or so...?!?
--> Happy to get some guidance
Old 01-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post

Only question I haven't found a real answer yet:
What do I have to keep in mind when refilling oil. Just pour "nominal minus 10%" in and see what happens? do I have to prefill a torque converter or so...?!?
--> Happy to get some guidance
When I did the 4x4 conversion on my van the guy who converted my 4R100 told me to dump a quart into the TC and then top off the trans, run it for 8-10 seconds then check the fluid again and adjust from there.
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #9

BW3340,
that's what I now also found on multiple videos on youtube. 1-2 quarts.

I pulled the transmission yesterday. Went really smooth! Disconnected the torque converter first (4 nuts taken off), all cables (as the harness is so stiff over the years easy to find the right ones when putting it back in), 8 (?) screws on the bell housing. 2 of the screws came off so easy, I might have been able to do it by hand. So a suggestion for others: take your dog house off and check the bolts! :-D

2 pins kept everything in place for now. So I started to disassemble the cross carrier, left the exhaust fully installed. Supported the trans with my car jack, crossbar out, a slight push with a pry bar and I had it.

Due to the lift I could just pull it from under the van on a carpet :-)

Only "mistake":
Keep in mind the torque converter holds some oil :-DDDD had a slight mass :-D

Now the transmission is cleaned up and waiting for further proceeding. Will start disassembling either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:49 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
A friend is going through a transmission renewal and bought one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-60234.html

He's a former racer so tools and their use not unknown to him. Of course he's a notorious cheap skate so take this FWIW.

I generally am NOT an advocate for HF tools but for him this will be a one-time use, the initial cost more important than the tool's longevity.

Something to consider of that carpet patch ever wears out!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote