Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

5.4 E-250 Headers 2006

I am looking to see if anyone with a 5.4 has installed headers, and if so what brand? Really am very grateful for all your help. Starting this build with a Quigley E`250 shell.
Thank you very much for all the help.
Joe Futrmobl
PS. New York, rust repair no fun, almost done.
i grew up working on cars with my dad and older brothers, starting with running gear, body suspension.

Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #2

I have been wondering about this myself. Searched and didn’t find anything on the forum. I don’t think you will find any van-specific 5.4 headers out there. I did some digging and found that the excursion 5.4 and other 2valve 5.4 application exhaust manifold is the same part number as the van 5.4. (See compatibility at the bottom of this page at O’Reilly).

I did a bunch of looking around at summit and found the Gibson GP126s (and 126s-1 not sure if EGR or not) fits the excursions and pickups. I called Gibson late last week, but they wouldn’t commit to it fitting the vans. I felt like I got blown off a bit, but he said that he didn’t think it would fit because it would hit the firewall. I haven’t crawled under there to look again, but I don’t remember tight clearance around the manifolds. So, I’ve been thinking about how to figure this out.

One reported downside of shorty headers like this is a loss of low-end torque, but the Gibson site does a good job of of marketing and saying they create usable torque. Some of the v10 guys have headers so it would be interesting to hear their thoughts.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Hi Mikerson,
Thank you for your help. I think shorty or not, they will have way more flow output than the regular stock manifolds. I did talk with a car guy he said check with Bank's, California, requires a smog certificate to go with the headers. Funny just had the van smog done a couple months ago guy never looked or asked. I will post my updates.
Joe Futrmobl
PS. Anyone else open for suggestions.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #4

You're better off setting your money on fire than doing headers on these cramped van engine bays.

Just get a more free flowing exhaust and intake. You'll see an improvement.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

Thank you Simplesz,
Do you have a brand of intake and exhaust. I have been looking just have not found anything yet. My van was from NY, said only surface rust muffler tail pipe hangers almost gone.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

K&N makes air filters and Magnaflow makes mufflers. Available everywhere in the USA.

Don't expect bolt on hot rod kits to be available for a work van. Keep it simple....
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #7

I agree with sticking to a catback exhaust. I wouldn't even bother with the intake. It's already designed for the V10 so it flows more than the 5.4L needs. If a cat-back exhaust doesn't get you where you want power-wise, it's easier and more reliable to just get a V10.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #8

Djaflc, you mentioned New York rust. Did you do any rust fix on the frame and undercarriage? I am needing to do this and trying to settle on the best strategy. Don't want to hijack this thread, but interested to know what you did for rust.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #9

I also was interested in doing a full exhaust initially for my 5.4 but was told by JBA and Agile that they would not fit in a stock van never mind one converted to 4x4. Would love to see them be wrong about that but doubtful, both extremely knowledgeable about all that is Ford
Rothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #10

Listened to everyone, decided to cat back and settle. Heading to muffler shop next week. Still going to keep researching for stock performance exhaust manifolds, possibly maybe like mustang. When I see my Ford, guy am going to ask him.
Happy Monday,
Joe Futrmoble