Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 10:43 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTRIDER View Post
What kind of temperature gauge do you mean? I am talking about air intake temperature, about MAF sensor readings and also about ignition. Air/fuel mixture is very important thing. Hope you are understand what I am talking about
The Subaru has both ambient temperature and engine oil temperature displays available. The Ford van not so much. The van has been getting good fuel mileage so I assume the AFR is within spec. The spark plugs aren't due for replacment for another 50000 miles so iginition is good. It was really hot that day especially on the asphalt, but the van air intake is about 48" off the ground.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #12

Garage
Here's a list of several devices that monitor vehicle parameters (some are cheaper than others):

https://www.scangauge.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
https://edgeproducts.com/insight-cts3/
https://sctflash.com/products/livewi...mance-monitor/
https://www.bankspower.com/c-69-prod...l-monitor.html
https://forscan.org/

and a discussion of various monitors:

https://saasdiscovery.com/torque-pro...%20OBDLink.%20

we have a cts3 because we have a diesel...a monitor is cheap insurance and a great diagnostic tool...some monitors can display trouble codes.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

You might have a vacuum in the fuel system. Try opening the fuel cap
Srafter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #14

You need to know what's going on inside of your engine. Ambient and coolant temperatures are not the same as intake temp. It could be a ypical issue of ford engines equipped with ignition coils on each cylinder.It's ok when they are in the beginning of warming cycle but then when they become hotter, they are loosing their impedance and you spark is not good. So there is no misfires or jerking, just a lack of power.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #15

Garage
We picked up our "broken" van at the Ford dealer in Prineville yesterday. They could NOT find a problem. They did diagnostics and tested the fuel delivery system, also let it get hot and went up a hill. Mrs. dhally followed me home just in case, it ran perfectly.

Kudos to Robberson Ford in Prineville, Oregon. Their shop is very busy but they looked at our van AND did not charge us since they didn't find a problem.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #16

I’ve had similar symptoms before. And after replacing the vent system including the canister they went away. When it happens again try to open the fuel cap and if you hear a vacuum you know you have a problem
Srafter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #17

Let me save you some trouble. Replace the fuel pump. They will never get it hot and bothered enough to reproduce it. My old SMB did this for years before I figured it out! Seriously, about 2 years. It would only do it on trips....in the Southwest.....in the summer. This is the only time we would get it to do it. I drove it locally the rest of those years on camping trips and it never did it.

Same exact problem. High heat, high load and it would overheat. Na, 6 mechanics said, fuel pumps don't do that. Let's replace......everything else.......and I did.

Eventually it did completely die. Right at the intersection of 98 and 160 in the metropolis of Unnamed Arizona, 60 miles east of Page, on a Friday afternoon just after 5 pm on a holiday weekend. Put all that together. It was a real party.

We actually got a rollback to lower our van in to the last KOA (yuck) spot available in Page after a 60 mile tow and sat there with no AC all weekend only to be told it would take a week to get the pump and get us rolling.

It was quite a spectacle that everyone else in the campground enjoyed watching from their icy cool 5th wheel windows. "Wow, cool van that doesn't run!"

It was great. Greatest trip ever. My wife really dug it.

Fuel pumps do overheat and then come back. I'd replace it before I spent another dollar troubleshooting with a Motorcraft replacement pump.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #18

^^^ I think you need some counseling for fuel pump PTSD, Eric! [emoji41]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
^^^ I think you need some counseling for fuel pump PTSD, Eric! [emoji41]
Love it! I think you are probably right.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Let me save you some trouble. Replace the fuel pump. They will never get it hot and bothered enough to reproduce it. My old SMB did this for years before I figured it out! Seriously, about 2 years. It would only do it on trips....in the Southwest.....in the summer. This is the only time we would get it to do it. I drove it locally the rest of those years on camping trips and it never did it.

Same exact problem. High heat, high load and it would overheat. Na, 6 mechanics said, fuel pumps don't do that. Let's replace......everything else.......and I did.

Eventually it did completely die. Right at the intersection of 98 and 160 in the metropolis of Unnamed Arizona, 60 miles east of Page, on a Friday afternoon just after 5 pm on a holiday weekend. Put all that together. It was a real party.

We actually got a rollback to lower our van in to the last KOA (yuck) spot available in Page after a 60 mile tow and sat there with no AC all weekend only to be told it would take a week to get the pump and get us rolling.

It was quite a spectacle that everyone else in the campground enjoyed watching from their icy cool 5th wheel windows. "Wow, cool van that doesn't run!"

It was great. Greatest trip ever. My wife really dug it.

Fuel pumps do overheat and then come back. I'd replace it before I spent another dollar troubleshooting with a Motorcraft replacement pump.
OK, the van ran great for 12 months .... until now when we had 110 degree weather again. Last Thursday on the way to Huckleberry picking, it lost power. I parked in the shade for an hour and no more problems. New fuel pump NOW!

Question for the experts: this is a 2009 Ford 5.4 liter. The fuel filler has been relocated to the rear about 30 inches. The filler pipe runs inside the interior wall behind our cabinets. Will the shop be able to drop the fuel tank OK without accessing the interior?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200715_102127.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	45081