Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 902
Garage
5.4 Liter engine lost power hot weather

So Silvan is at the Ford dealer in Prineville waiting for diagnosis. But I think this forum can diagnose it better!

Van has 50000 miles. I was towing about 1000 pounds and it was HOT, maybe 110F. As I was going up a long fairly steep grade, it lost power quickly but not like an off switch. After sitting with engine off for 5 minutes it restarted and had full power for about 1/4 mile. Then I gave up and called a tow truck.

My first though is fuel pump but everybody says it would not restart. Vapor lock? But that's impossible!

The shop is fully booked but they did say they would look at it next week.

Did I mention it was hot?
__________________

__________________
---------------------
2009 E250 RB 5.4L "SilVan"
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
REDOVAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lomita, CA
Posts: 773
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
So Silvan is at the Ford dealer in Prineville waiting for diagnosis. But I think this forum can diagnose it better!

Van has 50000 miles. I was towing about 1000 pounds and it was HOT, maybe 110F. As I was going up a long fairly steep grade, it lost power quickly but not like an off switch. After sitting with engine off for 5 minutes it restarted and had full power for about 1/4 mile. Then I gave up and called a tow truck.

My first though is fuel pump but everybody says it would not restart. Vapor lock? But that's impossible!

The shop is fully booked but they did say they would look at it next week.

Did I mention it was hot?
Replace your fuel filter as a $12 experiment. I just went through this with mine in hot conditions as well and 300 miles on a new filter. The van came to a halt with no power but did keep idling very poorly before dying reliably. We pulled the filter and verified the pump worked before blowing it out and reinstalling it. After that it worked fine to get us home. I do carry a spare filter and the tooling needed to change it, but this one was a surprise since the filter was new and the engine/nearly all accessories are also brand new.

Scott
__________________

__________________
2002 Ford E350 V10 Traveler
Vantage Optics Headlights
www.VantageOptics.com
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
carringb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 5,091
Did you happen to see your transmissions temps? The PCM will cut power when trans temp gets too high. Around 240F at least on my 4r100
__________________
2000 E450 dually V10 wagon
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 902
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Did you happen to see your transmissions temps? The PCM will cut power when trans temp gets too high. Around 240F at least on my 4r100
I don't think my HUD has that parameter. It didn't feel like the ECU cutting power. I didn't get a check engine light but maybe the dealer can see what happened.
__________________
---------------------
2009 E250 RB 5.4L "SilVan"
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
carringb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 5,091
It won’t trigger a light when it goes into protect mode. Only when it still gets too hot (270 I think) even after reducing power. You definitely should have some way to monitor that temp.
__________________
2000 E450 dually V10 wagon
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 902
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
It wont trigger a light when it goes into protect mode. Only when it still gets too hot (270 I think) even after reducing power. You definitely should have some way to monitor that temp.
Are you saying the oem display should have it? Or that I should add it?
__________________
---------------------
2009 E250 RB 5.4L "SilVan"
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
carringb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Are you saying the oem display should have it? Or that I should add it?
You need an OBD2 scanner capable of displaying it. Im not sure if the Torque app does it. ScanGauge does but most years require inputting an X-code. You have and HUD? Heads Up Display? This might be able to display us as well.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
DIRTRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brooklyn New York
Posts: 8
Hot air is an enemy for all gasoline engines. Cold air is much more preferable for burning=) But there is a complex. Hot air,hot gasoline, hot ignition coils and even a PCM. So i am agree that you should better buy a cheapest obd2 scanner with datastream option and you will get right info about engine condition.
DIRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 902
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You need an OBD2 scanner capable of displaying it. Im not sure if the Torque app does it. ScanGauge does but most years require inputting an X-code. You have and HUD? Heads Up Display? This might be able to display us as well.
Lol. I just have the OEM multi function display. A bit of internet humor...

My Subaru has an oil temperture display. Which I did watch on my way home hauling the trailer and all the stuff out of the van.
__________________
---------------------
2009 E250 RB 5.4L "SilVan"
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
DIRTRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brooklyn New York
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Lol. I just have the OEM multi function display. A bit of internet humor...

My Subaru has an oil temperture display. Which I did watch on my way home hauling the trailer and all the stuff out of the van.
What kind of temperature gauge do you mean? I am talking about air intake temperature, about MAF sensor readings and also about ignition. Air/fuel mixture is very important thing. Hope you are understand what I am talking about
__________________

DIRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×