Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Also a motorcycle jack works really well for dropping tanks.

bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mitchell View Post
Got the PCV valve and still had an issue. When I went to Autozone I got a Loan a tool fuel pressure kit and hooked it up and after cycling the ignition a few times the most I could get was 5 PSI so it looks like the fuel pump is bad. I guess things could be worse and I can bolt the back seat down while I have that out now as well.
Look at the positive side, you now know for sure what the problem is, but make sure there is 12v to the pump first because low voltage could reduce the pressure. Dropping the tank isn't too bad using a floor jack or two, even it's mostly full. Some folks find it easier to pull the drive shaft first, and be sure to spray the threads with some penetrant first and let it soak a bit.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Good find on the failing fuel pump---better now than at some unexpected time as mine did a few weeks back.

I would strongly suggest a Ford OEM pump---they're not cheap (mine was $420 new) but considering over 4 different gasoline vans this was my first pump replacement, each van having well over 200K miles. I always opt for maximum reliability over price---I suppose I could have saved a few dollars with another brand but doing this again is NOT my plan.

When my tank was lowered a leak was discovered, seems the straps had worn a small hole. It was pure luck it hadn't leaked at any time before, the rubber insulating pad on the original strap had somewhat self-seal the leak. My shop did the proper drain and water fill before welding a patch in place.

Also replace your fuel filter, perhaps using the borrowed fuel pressure gauge check for proper fuel pressure regulator operation too---something too often overlooked.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Has anyone considered cutting out a fuel pump/ gauge sending unit access port in the floor while the tank is out or dropped?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #15

I've seen some done with a hatch. Also one of the large shuttle bus builders does it stock.

Both cases they used a marine style twist-off hatch, and it looked pretty good.

That said.... Seems like you can expect 10-12 years normally for a fuel pump, if good fuel is always used. I'm not sure it's really worth the retrofit on an old van. Definitely might be worth considering when doing a floor install however.

PS - My Denso fuel pump has been great. I would expect OEM quality from Denso, since they are Toyota's OEM supplier.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #16

[QUOTE=carringb;223281]That said.... Seems like you can expect 10-12 years normally for a fuel pump/QUOTE]

I've always bought what ever the local auto parts store had in stock, normally with a life time warranty. That said, I've had pretty much everyone fail within a couple years. The current one has been in for less than a year and I'm hoping it out lasts the van, but should it fail, I'll get a Ford one. Sadly though, while I carry a spare to get me home if it quits when I'm in the woods, it's another auto parts store brand. Also, I found a hole in the top of my tank too. In Baja it started leaking and when I dropped it, it was rubbing on something after being installed a bit off position. I patched it with epoxy and covered it with some rubber sheeting, so far so good.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #17

What says the collective about replacing the pump as preventative item? 1998 5.4 with 113k still on original pump. Expensive, yes, but not something I’d want to deal with in the middle of a month trip away from home with my family. But maybe don’t fix it if it ain’t broke (literally)?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
What says the collective about replacing the pump as preventative item? ?
Check to see if the output pressure is within spec. If low, it may run fine, but may fail anytime. If it meets spec, your call.............
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I've always bought what ever the local auto parts store had in stock, normally with a life time warranty.
The parts store brands no longer come close in quality. The lesser brands sometimes are bad out of the box. The lifetime ones seem to last long enough to loose the receipt....

OEM, or OEM equivalent, is really the way to go. It's deciphering the "equivalents" that's hard. I would have put NAPA Echilon in that category 10 years ago. Not so much now.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
What says the collective about replacing the pump as preventative item?
I did. Based on age and mileage, the 2nd time it took an extra second of cranking, I went ahead and ordered a new on.