Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

5.4 Quit running today

Today was a bit of a rough day had a ton of work to do and the van decided to die about noon. It has been runnning great with no issues other than some odd oil usage. I changed the oil on Monday and it has been running great and today we drove about 80 miles on the highway and around town, then headed to another job and after I went around a corner it started to run a little rough and lost power. I pushed the accelerator and it died.
After that I can start it and it runs a bit rough and has a rough idle and then does after about 20 seconds. If I start it and touch the acelerator it dies right away.
What I have done:
(A few weeks back I realized the low gas light did not work and I ran it almost out of gas, I usually never let it below 1/4 of a tank) I have had a few 5.4s and have had a power loss issue before so I was a couple blocks away from an Auto parts store and I walked down and got a fuel filter and changed it that didnt change anything. so
1- New Fuel Filter
2- I pulled the PCV valve off and started it and it actually ran smoother for almost a minute and then died. The PCV elbows are pretty squishy so I ordered that part from the dealer and I will get a new PCV valve tomorrow as well.

I have looked up the issue on a few forums and seen a few things:
1- (most common) Idle Air Control valve, I have never had one go bad but it seems like a lot of other people have.
2- Bad coil(s) again never had this issue but a few people have had a similar problem and replaced all the coils to fix it. (This one is spendy so I am trying to avoid that.)
3- Clogged Catalytic Converter-- Again never had this issue and it is really expensive so hopefully that isn't it.
4- Cam Position sensor(s) - I had this issue on my 7.3 -- never on a 5.4 and it looks like i have 2 of them even though when I choose a 1998 E350 on Autozone is shows a SOHC engine which seems odd.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas, I have the PCV hose coming in around noon so after I get some work done in the morning I will try and get that installed and see what happens.

www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #2

Measure your fuel pressure before throwing parts at it. That's the most common cause of your symptoms. The pickup can plug with larger debris and won't even make it to the filter.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

Garage
Step One:
Plug in an OBD2 reader and >>scan for codes<< !

(Trouble codes.)

Seriously....don't waste any money on parts before you do that super basic/simple step. Your van's computer will almost certainly give up some specific trouble codes that will help direct your diagnosis. Can't overstate this....start there. Start there. Start there....!

OBD2 readers can be had at Autozone, Pep Boys etc. for around $15-$25 or so.....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Step One:
Plug in an OBD2 reader and >>scan for codes<< !

(Trouble codes.)

Seriously....don't waste any money on parts before you do that super basic/simple step. Your van's computer will almost certainly give up some specific trouble codes that will help direct your diagnosis. Can't overstate this....start there. Start there. Start there....!

OBD2 readers can be had at Autozone, Pep Boys etc. for around $15-$25 or so.....
Yep, yep and double yep on this!!

I didn't see your engine year but it symptoms sound exactly like my own failed IAC's on two different E250's with 5.4 motors.

Get your DTC's read first though---that will show bad IAC or COP's too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Measure your fuel pressure before throwing parts at it. That's the most common cause of your symptoms. .
THIS.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

Garage
Another item that may turn out worth investigating:

Fuel pump.
(It may be functioning erratically as it dies.)

If you ran your van's gas tank down to truly almost empty, the fuel pump wouldn't be super stoked about that....since the pump (located inside the gas tank) relies on its immersion in the gasoline to keep itself cool. Possible that with the fuel levels super low in the tank, the pump got overheated (or cavitated), and this began an acceleration of its demise.

This goes hand in hand with what carringb suggested of course (clogged fuel tank pickup). Issues both possibly caused by fuel levels being allowed to drop too low in the gas tank.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #7

I got my Ultraguage hooked up and it has No codes or pending codes. I had seen on other forums the IAC issue didn't throw codes many times. I ha e never measured fuel pressure so I will look up how to do that.
I ordered the PCV hose since it looks rough anyway and I had that issue on my superduty. I am not sure about the fuel pump yet when I changed the filter it was full and even after I changed the filter it is getting fuel to the engine because it does start but maybe the pressure is low if the fuel pump has issues.
My plan of attack at the moment is PCV and Hose, IAC, and measure the fuel pressure. Hopefully I don't have to drop the tank and replace the pump. (However it would be easier to mount my back seat with the tank out.......)
www.DirkMitchell.com
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #8

You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge (and / or a code reader) from some auto parts stores. I screws onto the fuel rail where there is a little fitting that looks like a tire valve stem. I've lost a couple fuel pumps, and never had a code set, so fuel pressure (or lack of) is your best indicator of a failed pump. I doubt your problem is the coils, they don't normally fail all at one time, and when one does fail it throws a code telling you which one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Well crap....kinda

Got the PCV valve and still had an issue. When I went to Autozone I got a Loan a tool fuel pressure kit and hooked it up and after cycling the ignition a few times the most I could get was 5 PSI so it looks like the fuel pump is bad. I guess things could be worse and I can bolt the back seat down while I have that out now as well.
Attached Thumbnails
20180308_154129.jpg  
www.DirkMitchell.com
Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

5.4 Quit running today

And there you go...dropping the tank isn't too bad...unless it's full and your pump is dead...

If not totally dead, You can unhook the output side of the fuel filter and put a several foot section of fuel line on it to be able to fit it into fuel jugs and jumper the fuel pump relay and hope it makes enough pressure to drain the tank.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote