Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
5.4 Water Pump Replace--Overview?

Anyone done as a DIY thing? If so can you give me a brief idea what I'm facing? 2003 E250 with 5.4 gas engine

I'm experienced more than enough to do this but having never done it I'd like to know how much I need to remove for this? It might be a driveway thing unless its more than I expect---I have a great mechanic who works cheap enough that's an option too.

TIA!

J W

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

Did it in May as preventative. Not too bad at all. Hardest thing really is taking off the fan and clutch and shroud. I did it when I was replacing my Harmonic Balancer since all the stuff in the way was removed anyway. Don't forget to throw a new thermostat in and replace the upper radiator hose.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Did it in May as preventative. Not too bad at all. Hardest thing really is taking off the fan and clutch and shroud. I did it when I was replacing my Harmonic Balancer since all the stuff in the way was removed anyway. Don't forget to throw a new thermostat in and replace the upper radiator hose.
Thanks Brian---'ppreciate the reply!

Watching a YouTube video or two seems there's almost nothing in front of or on top that needs to come off first. I'm too used to earlier motors where multiple pulleys, belts and maybe a smog pump or power steering pump is all attached to the water pump case.

There's a few slick tricks getting the fan clutch off the water pump shaft--should be able to find those tools easily enough, maybe borrowed from Advance Auto or Autozone.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

It's not easy as a DIY and pretty routine for a mechanic, so if you find yourself in the middle somewhere you'll be fine. It'll cost you an afternoon or so of your time working at a novice pace. I'm not sure if I've done it on a Triton but I've done it on many Ford and Chevy V8's. It's a messy job with coolant on you and every tool inevitably. I also hate not knowing if you've got it sealed until you button it up enough to pour expensive coolant in, hoping it doesn't fall to the ground. If that's a concern fill with pure water first and then you get an extra good flush, just more time consuming. Knowing you JWA, you won't have a problem with this.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
JWA

Thanks for the compliment Scotty----ordinarily I'd downplay such a thing but after these past few days I'll take it---gladly!

Completely with you on not knowing if there's a leak until after its all back together---over my "career" I've never had any water pump leak after assembled but have known others to go through that. Water first as a test, no need to waste good coolant.

As it turns out my coolant issues aren't at all related to the water pump---that's a relief. I did watch a few YouTube videos and if changing one is unavoidable it shouldn't be too daunting. I can return to solving the heated vent outlets---creating my own "cold air option" so to speak. Also working on selecting and installing a very heavy duty rear sway bar, one where its installed very differently from the typical method where the frame attachment points face the front---trying to have those facing the rear.

If anything interesting or useful to others comes of that I'll be sure to post it here.

Thanks again everyone---great replies!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #6

I'd be surprised if someone on FTE hasn't written up a good DIY on a Triton water pump replacement. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'd be surprised if someone on FTE hasn't written up a good DIY on a Triton water pump replacement. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Will do!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

I've never done it (yet), but it can't be too difficult. Simply remove things that are in the way, disconnect the hoses, unbolt the pump and reverse the process. At least that's the logic used in several of my aftermarket manuals for older cars. Those manuals were often times less than usefull. Sorry................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
JWA

Nothing looks too difficult, not when reading about it!

Thanks--appreciate the reply!
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Nothing looks too difficult, not when reading about it! Thanks--appreciate the reply!
Sorry, didn't mean to be a smart ass, but someone with average mechanical skills and a few tools should be able to change it out in an afternoon.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote