Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Garage
5.4L oil cooler missing bolts

Mrs. dhally took SilVan in for an oil change and the lube pit guy said the oil cooler came off with the oil filter...????

Looking at the parts diagram, it appears there is an insert that holds the oil cooler onto the cooler bracket. The same insert has threads to hold the oil filter on. The technician said that this insert did NOT come off with the oil filter.

Can anybody shed some light on what might be going on? How is the oil cooler attached to the cooler bracket?

thanks!

Old 09-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

Re: 5.4L oil cooler missing bolts

The only way for it to come off is with the oil cooler. It's basically a giant long hollow holt, and a female hex pattern for installation. That bolt is the only thing which holds on the oil cooler, and also the oil filter. Probably the oil filter was over-tightened at the previous oil change. Unless your oil filter was lost driving down the highway, the oil cooler bolt is somewhere in their shop.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

There are no bolts that hold on the engine oil to coolant heat exchanger ("oil cooler" above the oil filter) as it is held on by the hollow threaded tube that the oil filter screws on to. There is an index key on the heat exchanger and the block so that it can only be clocked one way during installation. They need to put some Loctite on the threads and tighten down the housing first and then not put the oil filter on so damn tight that it pulls the threaded tube out with the filter.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

"Great minds..."

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Garage

OK I think I've got it. I need to remove the oil filter, insert a hex key into the end of the hollow shaft, and tighten down the oil cooler, making sure it is clocked correctly. Or remove the shaft, apply loctite, and reinstall. It looks like if the hollow shaft were missing, the oil cooler would fall off and the oil would come out.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to do this without getting oil on my new concrete parking pad...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Oow all I need to do is figure out how to do this without getting oil on my new concrete parking pad...
Have the "Lube pit guy" who screwed it up do it right - on second thought...

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:

Now all I need to do is figure out how to do this without getting oil on my new concrete parking pad...
I've used big kitty litter box plastic tubs----think dishpans about twice their normal size. Along with a few pounds of oil dry or plastic sheeting laid down first you should be mess free at the end of all this.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Oow all I need to do is figure out how to do this without getting oil on my new concrete parking pad...
Have the "Lube pit guy" who screwed it up do it right - on second thought...
So I tried to remove the oil filter with a strap wrench and all I did was cave in the filter housing. They put it on real tight. Now I have every kind of filter wrench, and I've found a 14mm hex key. I'm starting to get a bit pissed, since my motor isn't even a diesel and now I have to work on it!!

I thought about taking it back to the lube joint and at least making them put on a new filter without torquing it down, but they would probably refuse to tighten up the sleeve, since they don't do mechanical work. If they even have a 14mm hex key.

It's more fun crawling around under the van myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

I know I would take it back if I found a filter put on so tight it collapses. Heck I'd probably call AAA and request a large wrecker just to make point. You'll get quicker service if the wrecker is blocking the entrance so other customers can't get in.