Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #11

Garage
Probably not the most popular point of view, but I’ve always subscribed to replacing things before they go bad.
On these Vans, it’s not the cost of the parts that make me squeamish, it’s that damn Labor associated with repairs.
I say replace the stuff you mentioned in your last post, and take solace in knowing it probably will be the last time you’ll have to address it.
***Just my perspective though.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

This is what i did a couple of months ago. I have pics in my thread
EGR cooler upgrade
Replaced EGR valve
Oil cooler replacement
Lubricated and cleaned turbo vanes
Coolant Filter
Swapped to ELC coolant (Delo Heavy Duty Coolant)
Swapped to synthetic oil (Rotella T6)
The HPOP fitting had already been upgraded
Blue Spring Fuel mod
Replaced both fuel filters
Replaced water pump
Replaced belt
Replaced thermostat

I had bought the dummy plugs and standpipes to replace but I would have had to lift the cab or drop the motor to do it so I ended up just leaving it alone

On topic with the thread, when i finished I had a coolant leak from one of the tees. I didn't know they were such an issue until i noticed it was leaking.
kikisadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Stand pipes for sure.
Dummy plugs Maaaybe.
Injectors : probably want a contribution test.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #14

SMB heat exchanger tee

Thread #4 asked about the T installed by SMB for the plate heat exchanger. It is this man's opinion this plastic T should also be replaced by a van owner. I've had 2 of the plastic T's fail before I switched to a metal one. At least Mercedes positions the temperature sensor adequately and I had a dash indication of high temperature.
maurshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #15

Where did you find a metal one? or did you just install the tee by itself instead of swapping the entire hose assembly?
kikisadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
Hi gang,

I've ranted about this before, but a while ago. If you have not replaced the plastic coolant hose T's on your Ford 6.0. Do your self a favor and just do it. I have had a 4 year battle with the stock plastic T's failing at the worse times--and thought I had replaced them all. Well, I missed one--down under the intake on the passenger side. It blew yesterday while 50 miles out in the woods. Luckily not a terrible trail repair, but still sucks while on a camping trip. I've replaced mine with brass hardware store T's, but you do you. If anyone remembers the exact I.D. on these hoses, please post below--I can't recall. I had a limp-home T that I had made for this purpose, but it is a little small.

Also, interestingly-- this was the first time this has happened: My gauges (Edge Insight, Dash, and an analog gauge) registered no issue with coolant temp when the T blew. It showed 180's degrees the entire time. The only way I noticed the issue was: a)smell of coolant, b) I have Engine Oil Temp on my Edge and it kept climbing and climbing. I'm glad I trusted my gut and pulled over. I can only assume that the coolant temp sensor is 'above' the T that blew--and the empty coolant system was not hot, because it had nothing in it. EOT got to or over 250deg before I could pull over safely. There is no idiot light on the dash at high EOT that I'm aware of. Every single one of the plastic stock T's has now cracked, blew out and caused a major road-side (or shop) repair. Most are way easier to get to when you already have your front end opened up. Just replace them.

Hope this helps someone. Otherwise had three awesome days in the sierra backcountry on an epic native rainbow trout stream and Tenkara rod shenanigans.

2005 E350 6.0 Diesel 165k on the clock. Heavy.

Thanks for the info!
Do you know how many Ts? What about the hoses?
I have mine in the shop now getting ready for a cross country trek and asked them to check and replace anything needed but they never really listen!!
Néw thermostat coolant hoses cap and to check the entire system including heater hose.
I’m always worried about my Ford but never one thought with my Toyota’s!

How many Ts again? Or anything else?
Tnx T
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #17

I went with 3/4" Brass. From the hardware store. Yes, really ;-) I could not find anything sexier. I believe there are three T's. Most of my hoses have aged pretty well. An easy catch is to replace the intake elbows (two) while you are right there. I would also do the Degas (coolant) bottle, mine had cracked. Radiator's too have a tendency to crack if they are stock. I went all aluminum.
Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #18

kikisadventures... your list is very close to mine. Which post of your were you referencing specifically where you tackled this list? I cruised through several of yours... firstly... you are fearless and a craftsman! I would love to see your post on the project.

I spent much of the day trying to find a shop near me (Sierra/Reno, NV) that would a) work on the 6.0 van at all and b) give any quotes that weren't straight out the 'book'.

I was not going to tackle this one myself, but I might be changing my tune. I got out of Unimogs because it was getting impossible to find help when I was stumped, and a 6.0 van is starting to feel the same. I got several quotes of 35-40 hours to do Oil&EGR coolers and injectors. ;-) I know my van is a PIA, but that is 'stacking' all book hours and giving no breaks for having it torn apart.

Just me whining. Everyone needs to make a living. And I probably need to suck it up and dive in.
Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
I went with 3/4" Brass. From the hardware store. Yes, really ;-) I could not find anything sexier. I believe there are three T's. Most of my hoses have aged pretty well. An easy catch is to replace the intake elbows (two) while you are right there. I would also do the Degas (coolant) bottle, mine had cracked. Radiator's too have a tendency to crack if they are stock. I went all aluminum.
Here to the great trouble free 6.0s
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #20

I replaced only the T. If my memory is correct, the local auto parts store, (O Reilly), supplied the replacement. It was typical heater hose size and no big deal for them to get from their warehouse, not a stock item at the store.
maurshir is offline   Reply With Quote