Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #21

Re: 6.0 diesel: Turbine carbon issue ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisdakar
What could happen to an almost new, stock diesel within 2 years that would prompt a smog check (engine mods, exhaust changes, etc. aside, as I have none).

pd
I'm pretty sure that is exactly what they are looking for. I think your smog check will only include a visual inspection, and a scan for stored emissions codes (or modified programming).

Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Team

California's looking for money.

From my experience here in Ventura, they do a visual inspection under the hood, maybe at the vehicle computer, and then do a "snap test" where they quickly rev the engine three times to 3000rpm and look at the smoke. Then the tech makes a purely subjective call as to how opaque the smoke cloud is, and decides whether to pass you or not.

If the tech finds irregularities under the hood (certain aftermarket parts like air intakes, turbos, intercoolers...) they may look for the proper CARB number on the device.

Herb
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #23

Yes, it does appear rather - subjective!

So its Friday late morning now, and apparently they were down one diesel technician. I spoke with the service rep. this am, after they went on the test drive with the "fixed" turbo, and he said he was going to talk to the manager to see "what they can do". This all sounds so sketchy! This isn't a private repair shop, but rather a large Ford dealership!

I have driven Toyota 4x4s for many years, logged many 100s of thousands of miles with who knows how many Toyota factory services, and I've never heard a 'Yota service tech. or rep. say they would see if they could work something out regarding cost for a repair or service!

More to follow, as I'm getting a ride to the dealership in about 10 minutes!

pd
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #24

The video sums it all up quite well!

Turns out in my case it also was the 0299 code, due to carbon build up on the unison ring of the turbine.

Here is my local Ford dealership's take on the issue (from what they have learned over some years repairing these turbos): if the van isn't driven, or driven infrequently, then the carbon that builds up on/near the junction of the turbine veins and the unison ring can crystallize over time. They are not sure how much time, and they are not sure how much inactivity will cause this to occur. They said its probably from moisture accessing that area, during the 'inactivity'. I asked the service guys if Ford has any remotely quantifiable numbers, hours, or geographic regions that can be brought to the table on this issue (like: '...if driven less than xx miles or under xx hours per year, or typically in the xx region because of humidity...'). The dealership says Ford has nothing on this, or rather, nothing has been transmitted to my dealership on this (or, they are not telling me the full story).

In any case, I had to pay for the 'clean up' of the crystallized carbon off the unison ring. It came to just under $600! They didn't seem shady, and for what its worth, they did show me a gunked up unison ring that exhibited the same issue as mine. They also didn't charge for the smog check, but that is a low ticket $ item anyway.

Rather expensive learning curve expedition into the inner workings of the E350 6.0 turbo charger. So, has anyone looked into this stainless turbine (or is it a stainless unison ring?)?

Cheers, pd
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #25

Garage

Quote:
So, has anyone looked into this stainless turbine (or is it a stainless unison ring?)?
I looked but couldn't find any information. Background to my comment about stainless steel rebuild kit. When I picked up my Sportsmobile I asked Allen Feld what to look out for on the 6.0PSD. That's when he mentioned installing a stainless steel rebuild kit if I ever had to rebuild the turbo. I made a mental note of it but didn't ask for more details.

After seeing the video I doubt that a stainless kit would do anything to prevent carbon buildup. It also looks like the unison ring and associated parts are stainless. Hard to tell from the video. If you are really curious give SMB West a call, I'm sure they have some more insight into what other customers have experienced and possible improvements.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #26

Yes, from handling one of the unison rings from another E350, I would say it appeared to be stainless. At least, when they scrubbed some areas clean it seemed so, but I can't be sure.

I assume any other turbo would void the Ford warranty. Maybe that's what Allen was implying for the turbo rebuild: warranty up, then install more bomb-proof gear.

pd
Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #27

Sorry to hear they made you pay for the clean up/rebuild. My dealer did it under warranty, without question and then warrantied their rebuild for 12k miles as well.

Don't idle for long periods
Use cetane boost
Drive it every 6-10 days through full throttle.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #28

Thanks for the tips.

Are you using the Amsoil cetane boost?

pd
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Site Team

I used to use Stanadyne Performance Formula, but now use Opti-Lube Summer Blend (quite a bit cheaper, but does not have anti-gelling properties).

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74
http://opti-lube.com/index.php/diesel-f ... blend.html

Herb
Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #30

Great. Many thanks for the information. Do you run a different cetane boost in the winter months?

pd